• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dryer lint as wadding?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was helping my wife with the laundry the other day and, as usual, I took the lint off the lint screen from the dryer and tossed it. Then I got to thinking....could this lint be saved up and used as wadding for my 20 bore trade musket?

Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance.

I have not tried that, using oxyoke wads instead...seems like a clump of dryer lint would be sort of like a cotton ball, subject to becoming a flaming missle out of the bore...dunno

Can't really say I've tried it either, but I will tell you the stuff works great as a tinder for fire starting. In fact it works sooooo good that it is specifically outlawed during most fire starting contests.

Rio

You'd want to be sure the lint was made up of natural fibers. Manmade fiber could make a real mess in your barrel.

Smallpatch said:
16ga,
Just a question????...Why in the world would you want to?? :rotf:

I suspect its for the same reason people first started using wasp/hornet nest paper, to have an alternative to the standard fifer wad...

And if it works in your gun it would be real economical. Some of the old timers used the padding out of old saddle seats. Compacted already from being rode all those years. I read that in ML mag years ago. Can't remember who wrote it.
Don

Since wadding is to keep the powder separated from the shot or ball and to prevent deformation; I don't see how something that would normally would combust almost instantaneously is going to do that job very well-- BUT still, it was a good thought... You could give it a try in a safe place and report the results. It may be that you discover that it has some wonderful properties that occur under pressure... who knows?

I'm sure that many great inventions and discoveries were the efforts of persons that had similar experiences, and they merely saw a good opportunity to try something a little bit different. That's the kind of thinking that makes muzzleloading so interesting--using a waste byproduct from one process to provide a solution to another process.

"It's the wheels that keep turning that stay lubricated the best" -- ?

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

WV_Hillbilly said:
Since wadding is to keep the powder separated from the shot or ball and to prevent deformation; I don't see how something that would normally would combust almost instantaneously is going to do that job very well--

I would imagine that a heavy over-powder card would still be used, this would act as a fire wall...

That's real Zen dude. :haha: You must spend a lot of time contemplating your navel! :haha:

Now what if you were to add beeswax to the dryer lint and then compress the mixture into 20-gauge hole forms and allowed to dry... :hmm:

Could end up like compressed fiber wads... :hmm:

Yeah, you work yer tail off and then get almost as good of a product after spending twice the money and counting yer time as free. Hmmm...

Story of my life!

CS

lennowenoxie said:
Good point Crackstock, it may be cheaper to just go and buy them already made up.
Don

That is true, however in the true spirit of muzzleloading it seem more satisfying to make your own gear, no matter what it may be...

Plus it's always good to know that you have an alternative in case you can't buy them when they're needed...

Latest posts

Back