• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello all. My question is about wad under bullet in my GPH 54 cal. I have been less than satisfied with the accuracy of no excuses 525 grain bullets, and also REAL 300 grainers. I thought I was getting some improvement with a cardboard under the bullet so thought I would try a fiber wad. Unfortunately I mistakenly ordered the felt wonder wads. Am trying 70 gr of 3f goex. My question is if I am likely to get desired effect from wonder wads like I would expect from the fiber wads? I have used olive oil for the lub in fiber wads in other caliber guns and am assuming same could be used in wonder wads.
Thanks in advance for words of wisdom or experience in this matter.

Probably much more success with patched round balls in that rifle.
Even with the fast twist of the hunter? Round ball would have to be a light load I believe. I am looking for extending my killing range for Elk.
I do have a GPR that I have used for a couple of years for deer and am confident would work for elk. But I am trying to get a few more yards.
I am hoping the conical bullet can be accurate further than the ball.

I think Waksupi mis-read that it is the GPH with the fast twist. As for the Wonder wads, they should work ok. I have started cutting my ow felt wads but 1/8' like the Wonder Wads as well as thicker 1/4" from felt i get from a company called Durafelt. You can get a lot of wads out of a couple feet of it. Is may seem like it cost a lot but you will save money over the cost of commercial made wads.

I think Waksupi mis-read that it is the GPH with the fast twist. As for the Wonder wads, they should work ok. I have started cutting my ow felt wads but 1/8' like the Wonder Wads as well as thicker 1/4" from felt i get from a company called Durafelt. You can get a lot of wads out of a couple feet of it. Is may seem like it cost a lot but you will save money over the cost of commercial made wads.
Wonder wads here in Canada for my .36 Navy revolver after taxes are almost $20.00 Can after taxes. That works out to 20 cents a wad. I order industrial grade felt 1/8 inch thick from a textile plant in Mississauga, Ontario, 5 square feet and soak it in 2 parts lamb tallow 1 part beeswax mixture and punch them out for about 8 cents each. They work great in the 51 Navy.

I am getting good groups with the 4 band Lee bullets in my 1 in 36 twist. 390 grain

I use a 1/8" felt wad under the blue powder coated Real bullet.

I have shot 4 times with out cleaning, just in early testing but they look promising.

I need to sort the bullets better and re-test. Maybe cast some new ones.

BPS07062023_0001w1.jpg

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like the felt wads are worth a try. If work then I will check into the more economical options. Sorry that I was cryptic in describing rifle, its easy to automatically think of the GPR as it is most common.

Wonder wads here in Canada for my .36 Navy revolver after taxes are almost $20.00 Can after taxes. That works out to 20 cents a wad. I order industrial grade felt 1/8 inch thick from a textile plant in Mississauga, Ontario, 5 square feet and soak it in 2 parts lamb tallow 1 part beeswax mixture and punch them out for about 8 cents each. They work great in the 51 Navy.
What plant is that? I’m in Brantford. Much love for Wellington County.

Tried the felt wads today pictured at 50 yds. Then put 6 into six inch group all in the 8 inch black of this target. Now we’re getting somewhere.
I think my wads were more like grease cookies double thickness of the felt or more.😳 A bit too much I think. I will remelt my disc of felts and pull them out separately to cool on wax paper so they are more like saturated felt instead of glob of lube with some felt inside 😏
Thanks to you all for the help and if anymore good advice I’m all ears.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Tried the felt wads today pictured at 50 yds. Then put 6 into six inch group all in the 8 inch black of this target. Now we’re getting somewhere.
I think my wads were more like grease cookies double thickness of the felt or more.😳 A bit too much I think. I will remelt my disc of felts and pull them out separately to cool on wax paper so they are more like saturated felt instead of glob of lube with some felt inside 😏
Thanks to you all for the help and if anymore good advice I’m all ears.
Update to the 6 inch 100 yard group mentioned above. Now to attempt 150 yards before opening day.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back