• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill Press

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of adding a drill press to my garage tools. Waiting on a Chambers kit and think a drill press while a luxury would be very nice to have. I know they come in bench and floor models and several sizes from 8 inch on up. Want a accurate machine that will not break the bank. What do you folks use and recommend?

If you have the room, I would get a floor model. I would not do my tool shopping at Harbor Freight. If you can find an old American made drill press that is in good shape, you might be ahead of the curve. Look at the Delta model or even an old Sears.

If there is a wood working store near you like Rockler, go see what they have to offer. :hmm:

They don't make an Accurate drill press that won't break the bank. :idunno:

For a drill press, even over $ 1000. you won't find anything great & it will be imported, regardless of manufacturer.

But for the general craftsman, you can get some decent import floor & table top drill presses for $ 200-500. I have a small Delta table top drill press (it is an import) I got from Lowes fur ? $ 125 or so, does a decent job & fine for the gun work. I have used the heck out of it for over 10 years & never had an issue.

You might try Grizzly...... tho imported they make some pretty good tools & back what they sell.

Out in the shop I have a floor mount Rigid (imported as well) I bought for about ? $300. on sale, and it is OK, but turns out not nearly what I need out in the shop. Not enough A.. for anything but light work. For heavy work you need at least a 5HP motor. I am going to move it to the gun work area & find me a used Bridgeport for the shop as it will do anything I need.. I have an old Rockwell drillpress top that is an old & good one, but can't find a dang used stand & table for it. Everyone tells me "Oh yes, I had one & scrapped it cause the head went bad ! :doh:

Keith Lisle

I have a medium sized floor mounted Griz, no complaints. A good cross slide vise on the table is well worth the money.

You can see my lead shot bag hi-tech gun holder for precision tang bolt drilling in the picture, it works......

That is correct. :wink: A Good drillpress vice is well worth the extra $. I used the elcheapo ones for years & fought the dang things ALL the time...., however I did learn some new curse words from using them. :rotf: :redface:

Finally went to MSC & bought a good one. WOW...... :shocked2: what a difference. Never have an issue with it & altho it kinda bit me to purchase it, I am so glad I did. :thumbsup:

The drillpress vice cost more than the Delta drillpress ! ha ha ! But it was still worth it.

A milling machine vice is worth it to. It has adjustments Both ways & very nice when ya just need to mill a hole or something a few thousands ...... you can carefully do so in a with this vise on a drillpress. Minor stuff, now...... not real milling....

Keith Lisle

I have a Ryobi bench top drill press that I like very much. I think it cost less than $100. It worked well when I put two of Jim Chamber's kits together.

A cheap drill press is junk and a waste of money. The table has to be made well enough that you can drill a 90 degree hole, etc. So yeah, $$$.
If money is an issue think about making a few drilling jigs that operate off of a hand electric drill. This takes some time to make but the price is almost nothing and the results very good. If you want to drill 1/16" holes for pin stock you'll get BETTER results on the drill jig.
I've covered this in past posts so it is probably in the archives but basically you build a three sided box with open ends, ( a base and two sides) the width a little wider than the stock. You epoxy putty a tube horizontally across the sides. Once the epoxy sets saw away the middle- you now have two perfectly aligned tubes. The inside diameter is for whatever drill you will use, so a 1/16" inside diameter for pins, larger for tang bolts, lock bolts, etc. You have to make separate jigs for each job.
To use the jig- mark on either side of the stock where the hole needs to be. Now drill in to the stock free hand but only about 1/16" deep. Now the hard part, you have to drive wedged shims on either side of the gaps between jig and stock and clamp in place and place drill bits on both sides to assure all is lined up. I normally have to undo everything and re-clamp 3 or 4 times until all is perfect. Then drill in from each side. I've never had the drilled holes not line up okay. By drilling IN on either side you'll never have a chip of wood break out as can happen when a drill bit exits the far side.
If you are confused on this but it is of interest- just ask more questions.
I'm pretty cheap. Every $ I save goes into another project so to me, saving $$$ is a big deal even if the alternative requires more time.
BTW- the last time we discussed drilling jigs some other folks posted their designs that looked very good.

A few years back I bought a 14" Grizzly floor mounted drill press but didn't like the plastic blade guides....so, bought ball bearing blade guides, and bolted a 3/4" thick X 2'X 4-1/2' reinforced plywood sheet on the DP table. This enables me to first drill all 4 bbl lug pin holes and later on 3 RR pipe pin holes...each set in one setup.

The ball bearing blade guides enable me to saw on the line thereby leaving a minumum of wood to be removed by hand tools.....Fred

Flehto -- I think you got two different tools in one post -- never heard of a drill press with "guide's" :grin: . My bandsaws have "guide's" :v

I have this Grizzly http://grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944
in the bench model. But, I highly reccomend getting the floor model. They are much more versitle, you will never regret it. I have had mine in use for 15 years and nary a problem. Some gripe they are Chinese made. But, most are Tiawan. And, most "American" labeled machines come off the same assembly lines in China/Tiawan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the machinery out there is made outside of the USA now a days. Most are made in one big factory and the contractor (Delta, DeWalt, Ryobi, Jet, Grizzly, Harbor Freight) give the manufacture their specs for their machines. When the machines come off the line the contractor's label is attached to the machine. Some of the machines have more "bells & whistles" then others but they come out of one manufacturing facility -- Ok -- maybe two but you get the point. All of the machines need to be "tweeked" to perform at there best which does not mean they will perform in a top notch aero-space facility but they will do the job in the hobbiest garage. If you are looking for "Nat's A&&" tolerances then buy a GOOD milling machine :thumbsup:

AH -- I see you got your post in before mine -- we are thinking alike -- good post :metoo:

I've been using a skil table top drill press from lowes. Has been 100% reliable and accurate. Certainly not an industrial press by anymeans, but without a doubt it's perfect for drilling the holes on builds, expecially with an alignment jig. Sure, if you can purchase a high end floor press I'd be all over it! However, my budget or should I say wife won't let me spend the amount I want! To each his own, but I'm completely satisfied with my skil... With proper setup and alignment my press does just as it should, drill an accurate hole... :hatsoff:

When I got married in 71 we lived in a mobil home (AKA "trailer). I put up a 10' X 10' aluminum shed ran power to it and that was my workshop for 13 years. I could only use a benchtop drill press (small Harbor Freight one) which worked well for me at the time. Now I converted the 2-1/2 car garage into a shop. I have a full size milling machine, a 12" X 36" Jet lathe assorted wood working machinery, 5 HP air compressor, cherry picker to move the machines if needed plus a bunch of smaller items. I am self-sufficient but it took me 40 years to get where I'm at today :wink: .

I am going to say something a little different. I have a Craftsman table top. Its decent. . .perhaps even good. Table tops can be good or junky to the point of just a little more than those old goofy things you mounted a hand drill into.

It is kind of small.

However, I grew up with a cheap import of the "Buffalo" brand that was a floor mount. It is 30 years old +, and still great, but I can't recall which Asian country it came from. . . I think Taiwan.

So I would just say in some cases, not all imports are the same, and some can be good, or were once upon a time . . . not sure about the China stuff you'd probably find at Harbour Freight today, however.

I am going to check out a swivel vise at Harbour Freight for gun work, but it will need to impress me.

I agree....you'd think that I have Alzheimers instead of my wife.

Seeing most of the holes are small when building MLers, the spindle speeds should be on the high side. For the 1/16 dia. pins I use 1350 RPM but higher speeds are used for polishing.....Fred

Rifleman1776 said:
I have this Grizzly http://grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944
in the bench model. But, I highly reccomend getting the floor model. They are much more versitle, you will never regret it. I have had mine in use for 15 years and nary a problem. Some gripe they are Chinese made. But, most are Tiawan. And, most "American" labeled machines come off the same assembly lines in China/Tiawan.
I bought my floor model from Harbor Freight about 15 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it's seen some pretty heavy use. I don't remember the cost, but at the time I didn't have a lot of money. Later on I bought an adjustable press vise and I think it cost as much as the press. :hmm:

That's a good one-- I like a drill press that is "user frendly" and easy & quick to change speeds which I do often -- BTW - I use 1600 RPM on the #43 and smaller bits in most metals & wood.
P.S. -- I like your work - very nice :bow: .

bpd303 said:
Rifleman1776 said:
I bought my floor model from Harbor Freight about 15 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble with it and it's seen some pretty heavy use. I don't remember the cost, but at the time I didn't have a lot of money. Later on I bought an adjustable press vise and I think it cost as much as the press. :hmm:
Now I have to post a retraction, it's tough when you have CRS.
I mentioned the post about the Harbor Freight drill press to my wife and she said we didn't get it there. :slap:
We bought it at a farm & home store in Harrison Race Brothers and it is a Buffalo Tool Corp 16 speed press made in Taiwan.

If you know a machinist, you might score one cheap. They often start small and work on up to more expensive ones. I scored a nice floor model for $20., of course, he just happened to be my brother. But, still I've seen nice one's in pawn shops for $100-150 bucks.

Back