• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill press jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are getting excellent advice here on many things.
While i have drilled a fair few tang holes they have been on modern guns so i am not as experienced as the other cintributors.
As per @billraby put a bit of wood in the gap at least where visible. You may choose to epoxy the unseen area just careful with that.
For the tang bolt start with driling the Tang as per @Col. Batguano and @billraby.
Start undersize and go about halfway. Clear chips often.
Turn it over and do the same from the triggerplate.
Ideally the holes should meet precisely.
This will allow you to judge how far out your holes are. If not too bad run a larger but still undersize drill through about 3/4. This should pull the hole into line.
If it doesnt you can now sort this with a file before going to tap drill size then clearance size.
Go slow. Take it easy.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone! This has given me a lot to think about. I’m going to order some center drills before I drill the tang. I don’t want to rush this. Again, thanks for all the advice. I know I’ll have more questions to come.

Jon

I just clamp an arrow field point in my cross slide vise and proceed, I can adjust the point to be where it needs to be very easily with the vice controls.

drilling jig.JPG

What I have learned in machining and wood butchering that has helped me is putting time into fixturing .

Get the workpiece into the tool zone so you have maximum control of the tooling.

Then be able to reference the workpiece to the fixture be it vise, clamp , post so you can take it out and put it back in the same spot.

My advice is no matter what you use it is best to drill 1/2 way from one side and 1/2 way from the other side. Then you won't be sorry.

Latest posts

Back