• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double barrel Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRMan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Any ideas how this would actually work?

pix199071656.jpg
pix380299692.jpg
pix523124284.jpg
pix436002246.jpg

pix919839224.jpg

Last edited:
Send it out to Bobby Hoyt in PA to have the barrel and breech plug integrity checked out. He can then properly line it ... if needed.

I think someone may have intentionally placed that insert in there, perhaps to prevent loading and shooting. FWIW I've seen various muzzleloaders through the years with inches of cast lead at the bottom of the breech, or filled with some epoxy product.

Here is the listed description:

Antique British Nepal / East India Pattern Brown Bess Gauge 62 Flintlock Musket.
"TOWER/PROOF" marked locked with a pan that blocks the vent.
The barrel has a thinner tube inside the outer tube. Caliber estimated.
Mechanically works with 1 click but the spring is soft

The barrel MAY have a flaw , that’s why the other smaller barrel was stuck in there, to make it shoot. But not with that touch hole…..

While its condition is what might be described as ' NRA Disgusting ' it appears to have been used a lot by someone despite its two barrels and hideous treatment .Truth is very often stranger than fiction and the art of the international gun bodger knows no bounds a very evident fact in this case . Rudyards take

People will shoot anything to save a buck. My friends dad years ago still fired his very old unmentionable single 12 gauge. It was held together with electrical tape, and the breech was locked shut with a hose clamp somehow. We cut it into 6 pieces and bought him a new one…

I can't see how it ever could have been used in that configuration, and I don't think it has anything to do with the actual gun. I expect somebody just jammed a piece of pipe down the barrel long after it's last use.

Latest posts

Back