• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel .410 Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris237

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening. A good friend of mine told me about this forum and recommended I reach out to see if anyone recognizes or could help identify this old shotgun. It belongs to a widow and neither of us have any idea what it really is. It is an old double barrel black powder percussion shotgun chambered in what I believe is .410. The inside diameter of the bore measures right about ½” and the barrels are 36 ½”. The side plates are engraved and the right one is stamped “WARRANTED”. The word “LONDON” is stamped between the barrels 2” from the chamber. The trigger guard, hammers and top of the action are engraved.The stock has brass designs of a hunter with dog and a deer on the left side and a squirrel and bird on the right. The overall length is 53”. I have numerous pictures but don't want to dump them all on the site unless asked to. I would really appreciate any assistance. Chris.

I apologize for any delay here guys. I think this will work. Chris

library

In your pictures on Photobucket, look to the right you will see share links, click on IMG it will flash copied then go back to your post and right click & select paste.
BTW welcome and a nice little gun. If you take the barrels out of the stock there should be proof marks on the underside.

I have no idea if I was able to post these pictures or if someone helped me. Either way, I appreciate your help and patience. I will try to get the barrels out of the stock and see what I can find.

I'd say a small bore English bird gun. IF it's truly about 1/2 bores then it's probably a 32 bore double which is .501" bores. This bore sized transitioned into breechloaders but was overshadowed on both ends by 28 gauge and .410 guns which basically pushed this bore size into obsolescence. If you remove the barrels, you'll probably find proof and viewing marks on the bottom of the barrel breeches and may find marks stamped on the back of the lock plates as well. some English makers could be real tricky about where to hide marks! :wink: :haha:

The trigger bow is c1810, the stub trigger maybe earlier, LONDON/WARRANTED says American import, the wood and butt are American but you will need to find a proof mark to locate the barrels. I guess B'ham. So it is part flint with an American conversion to percussion.

Looks like a fun gun and almost certainly okay to shoot if your shoulder can survive that butt spike :thumbsup:

With that butt spike is it more reasonable to think that it was meant for roundball? I'd sure hate to throw that up to my shoulder in a hurry and find that the spike was in the wrong place after I pulled the trigger.

Thanks Wes/Tex! I really appreciate the information. I'm a little nervous about breaking this thing apart but it's going to happen. I'm probably going to have to wait until the weekend but I'll add pictures when I do.

Still trying to learn my way through the forums guys so please pardon my screwy posts. Thank you to everyone that has chimed in with information. You guys are great! Chris.

I suspect it is an American made gun using (maybe) British parts. Not a lot of British or European guns made with curly maple stocks,deeply curved butt plates and that style cheek-rest. The inlays in their profusion are typical 1840-1870 Eastern Great Lakes area (Western New York, Ohio, Indiana etc.) Could have been a re-stocking job by a local gunsmith in that period.

Back