• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel .410 Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dyemaker said:
So is this piece Damascus barreled? Is there a sure fired way to tell or not? It is interesting to me. A very cool object.

If that says STUB or STUBBS then it is damacus. Those old boys in America would not buy any shotgun that was not clearly labelled as unlikely to blow up in your face.

Favourite stampings for exports to America were "London Fine Twist" and "Twisted Stubbs".

Alternatively, find a smooth surface and etch it :thumbsup:

Fwiw, a considerable number of barrels of the 19th Century are marked, "Fine Twist", "Damascus" and or "Stub" but are NOT any sort of Damascus; instead they are ordinary steel barrels with "faux finish added".
(NO "truth in labeling" laws enforced then, especially in European-made shotguns. In fact, some "English-made guns" were exported to the USA from France/Belgium that have fraudulent English proof-marks & SOME have been found that bear PHONY "well-regarded" British maker's marks. = It pays to be CYNICAL when dealing with claims about antique firearms & get a PROFESSIONAL appraisal before purchase.)

just my OPINION, satx

Gentlemen, I would suggest it is a locally made fowling piece, made using available parts, barrels may well have been from a flintlock, if not and something later, perhaps the original breech plugs removed and a new set and nipple drums fitted. Nicely made, how well is it balanced? Does it point nicely?
I sent a set of damascus barrels of a breech loader to a mate in the US who put breech plugs in and was going to make a flintlock fowling piece .

Cheers

Heelerau

I think it feels pretty well balanced and aims nicely. I'm just really not familiar with muzzle loaders, much less something this old so I don't know what to compare it to. I'd like to fire it before it sells but to be honest I'm still not 100% sure what to load it with. I think this one will better off left with a collector. You guys have been great and I can't thank you enough for all the input.

Back