• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't avoid new Uberti sixguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midway sold me a less than stelar Uberti a while back. I became a serious pain in the ass for them. Pretty much forced them to take my pistol back. Bought one from Taylor of the exact same model and it is flawless. (other than the standard issue Uberti arbor issue) Folks say Taylor doesn't get better product, but it certainly seems so to me.
Mine was from Midway and was a Taylor’s gun. I have never had an issue with poor quality guns from Midway.
IMG_6402.jpeg

Midway sold me a less than stelar Uberti a while back. I became a serious pain in the ass for them. Pretty much forced them to take my pistol back. Bought one from Taylor of the exact same model and it is flawless. (other than the standard issue Uberti arbor issue) Folks say Taylor doesn't get better product, but it certainly seems so to me.
Individual variations. Taylor's doesn't get better guns, neither does Cimarron. Not opinion but fact. The only Uberti I've ever had to return was a Cimarron.

Uberti's Color Case is a heated chemical bath in cyanide. Colt used/uses heat, bone & charcoal to color case harden the metal. A real difference in visual hues & intensity.
Cyanide is used for actual color case hardening, because it is very high in carbon. Looks totally different from Turnbull, Colt or Uberti colors.

Uberti's case colors are attained through a chemically applied process.

Yes, Colt colors are bone charcoal. However, Uberti's case colors are so good these days, as I already said, I don't know why people pay the premium for Colt 2nd and 3rd generation percussion guns. The colors are very good and they're better made guns at a third the cost.

IMG_2873c.jpg

It's no Turnbull but pretty good for a $450 sixgun.
IMG_9268b.jpg

Even Colt pales next to Turnbull.
023b.jpg

Cyanide is used for actual color case hardening, because it is very high in carbon. Looks totally different from Turnbull, Colt or Uberti colors.

Uberti's case colors are attained through a chemically applied process.

Yes, Colt colors are bone charcoal. However, Uberti's case colors are so good these days, as I already said, I don't know why people pay the premium for Colt 2nd and 3rd generation percussion guns. The colors are very good and they're better made guns at a third the cost.

IMG_2873c.jpg

It's no Turnbull but pretty good for a $450 sixgun.
IMG_9268b.jpg

Even Colt pales next to Turnbull.
023b.jpg
Charcoal imparts carbon into steel to harden as well. it doesn't just color it. The color is a nice side benefit. I know this because I case harden steel receivers with a mixture of bone and hardwood charcoal.

Charcoal imparts carbon into steel to harden as well. it doesn't just color it. The color is a nice side benefit. I know this because I case harden steel receivers with a mixture of bone and hardwood charcoal.
Turnbull turns out the best case color of any one I know and cyanide case does look entirely different than charcoal casing. Stevens used cyanide for their case hardening as well.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

There are folks that think it is only a coloring process and it seemed like you were in this group from what you posted.
I don't know how you would've gotten that impression.

To be clear, cyanide is only used for color case hardening. Bone charcoal is used for both case hardening, and merely case coloring. What Turnbull does with Rugers and probably the majority of his other work, is only coloring.

Cyanide looks like this.

1692281786818.png

I don't know how you would've gotten that impression.

To be clear, cyanide is only used for color case hardening. Bone charcoal is used for both case hardening, and merely case coloring. What Turnbull does with Rugers and probably the majority of his other work, is only coloring.

Cyanide looks like this.

View attachment 245713
A Stevens model 44 1/2 ! What's the caliber ?

Back