• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't avoid new Uberti sixguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I believe I read somewhere that Pietta has 3 types of grips, big tail, med and more accurate being the newer ones. My 51 Navy from 2021 looks normal.
image.jpg

My 1860 from 2022 also looks ok to me
image.jpg

I only base what I say on what I have observed. And that observation is that Uberti decided to cut corners on quality control in recent years.
I have no dog in the race, just a consumer and I am not about to buy what have proven to me to be substandard work.

No it ain't. The "Pietta tail" has nothing to do with 1860's. Only the Navies and not all of them. Here's a London version from several years ago.

IMG_2015b.jpg

Or this .44.
IMG_5621b.jpg

This is the Pietta tail, three of them.
IMG_2478b.jpg

I only base what I say on what I have observed. And that observation is that Uberti decided to cut corners on quality control in recent years.
I have no dog in the race, just a consumer and I am not about to buy what have proven to me to be substandard work.
Same here, except with a broader frame of reference. I find no credibility in your statement whatsoever. Everybody produces a turd now and then but some folks like to blow it all out of proportion.

OK, then. It is apparently a matter of perception. My 3 1851 Uberti Colts do not have a grip frame profile that looks like those, at least to me.

I recently purchased an Uberti 1873 SAA and a 1858 Remington Navy and both are top notch in functionality, fit and finish.

Ok I believe I read somewhere that Pietta has 3 types of grips, big tail, med and more accurate being the newer ones. My 51 Navy from 2021 looks normal.View attachment 244125

My 1860 from 2022 also looks ok to me
View attachment 244126
As I have said I never noticed the so called tail on the Butt until it was pointed out but what I did notice and corrected on my 2023, 51 Pietta was the thickness of the trigger and it's mid bow positioning.
The butt tail profile on my 60 and 51 is apparently of the lesser reverse angle hense scarely noticeable to me from the appearance stand point and is felt more than observed.
After removal, I made a sketch of the 51 trigger, torch heated it and forged to a thinner profile front to back and re-positioned it to the rear of the trigger guard. I did heat sink the upper trigger in my vice jaws so as to retain the hardness required for sear engagement.
I have noticed this seemingly random, trigger profile difference, on both Pietta's and Uberti's for quite some time now. Photos of reshaped trigger positions at rest, half cock and full cock.
Another observation and personal preference when viewing the trigger and bow is to retain the arch in the bottom of the bow instead of flattening it out. The symmetry of the trigger and trigger guard bow should match pretty close to retain the overall esthetic appearance in my opinion hence the forge out and reshaping of the trigger lever itself.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is the trigger at rest position before forging. Sorry about the dowl partially covering it up, it's the only picture I have of it before removal and forging. Note both the front to back thickness of the trigger and it's positioning in the bow as received. click to enlarge
Notice the difference in the at rest position of the trigger before and after forging. It was moved back to the rear of the bow about 5/16s- 3/8s of and inch I estimate and mimics the bow profile .

Attachments

• IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is the trigger at rest position before forging. Sorry about the dowl partially covering it up, it's the only picture I have of it before removal and forging. Note both the front to back thickness of the trigger and it's positioning in the bow as received. click to enlarge
Notice the difference in the at rest position of the trigger before and after forging. It was moved back to the rear of the bow about 5/16s- 3/8s of and inch I estimate and mimics the bow profile .
Another thing that I've noticed over time and use is how the profile of the trigger lever itself effects how the grip feels in the hand. If we have to reach for the trigger or are cramped in the bow we will adjust our grip to accommodate the discomfort our brain is picking up. My guess is the trigger profile contact on our trained and sensitive trigger finger causes us to subconsciously adjust how we grip the revolver.
Inconsistent grip positioning and pressure directly effects consistency shot to shot and thus accuracy !

No it ain't. The "Pietta tail" has nothing to do with 1860's. Only the Navies and not all of them. Here's a London version from several years ago.

IMG_2015b.jpg

Or this .44.
IMG_5621b.jpg

This is the Pietta tail, three of them.
IMG_2478b.jpg
Notice the subtle difference in the trigger shape profiles although some can be attributed to color difference. Dark colors make shape to appear differently in certain light conditions.
it would take 5 minutes to grind the tail off. refinish and done
I think you would genuinely be amazed at how little material has to be removed in this area of the grip to significantly effect the point of impact !

Notice the subtle difference in the trigger shape profiles although some can be attributed to color difference. Dark colors make shape to appear differently in certain light conditions.

I think you would genuinely be amazed at how little material has to be removed in this area of the grip to significantly effect the point of impact !
what? are you serious?

As I have said I never noticed the so called tail on the Butt until it was pointed out but what I did notice and corrected on my 2023, 51 Pietta was the thickness of the trigger and it's mid bow positioning.
The butt tail profile on my 60 and 51 is apparently of the lesser reverse angle hense scarely noticeable to me from the appearance stand point and is felt more than observed.
After removal, I made a sketch of the 51 trigger, torch heated it and forged to a thinner profile front to back and re-positioned it to the rear of the trigger guard. I did heat sink the upper trigger in my vice jaws so as to retain the hardness required for sear engagement.
I have noticed this seemingly random, trigger profile difference, on both Pietta's and Uberti's for quite some time now. Photos of reshaped trigger positions at rest, half cock and full cock.
Another observation and personal preference when viewing the trigger and bow is to retain the arch in the bottom of the bow instead of flattening it out. The symmetry of the trigger and trigger guard bow should match pretty close to retain the overall esthetic appearance in my opinion hence the forge out and reshaping of the trigger lever itself.
Looks like the triggers on original Remingtons, especially the navy and police models. Original Colts were more like that as well.

Same here. I know exactly Zero about C&B revolvers, but I have worked as a machinist on and off the past 30 years. From that point of view, the machining and assembly of the gun I recently purchased from Midway would not have been allowed to leave my shop.

I attribute this to Covid, not Uberti. Every Uberti I've seen looked like a good quality product. This one will sit in the box for now, I don't have time to start another project.

Edit: Every Uberti I'd seen before Covid.

Last edited:
Midway sold me a less than stelar Uberti a while back. I became a serious pain in the ass for them. Pretty much forced them to take my pistol back. Bought one from Taylor of the exact same model and it is flawless. (other than the standard issue Uberti arbor issue) Folks say Taylor doesn't get better product, but it certainly seems so to me.

Back