• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Don't avoid new Uberti sixguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GYJ

40 Cal
Reaction score
Some discussion in another thread about avoiding new Uberti sixguns for some reason. I've bought 20 Uberti and Pietta guns over the last two years and 52 in total. I'm here to tell you both manufacturers have their act together. Today I received #20. This time a full flute 1860. It may just be the nicest of the bunch. The case colors have me wondering why anybody still buys 2nd/3rd generation Colt's and two or three times the price. The walnut has some life in it, I'll probably strip the wood and refinish.

IMG_2871b.jpg

IMG_2873b.jpg

IMG_2872b.jpg

IMG_2874b.jpg

Last edited:
I never liked the Italian guns habit of covering nice walnut grips with a muddy red finish. If there is walnut under there, I strip them and just use a few coats of True Oil rubbed to a satin finish. Here is a Pietta 1858 Remington that I refinished. Even though it had plain grain but nice color walnut, it looks better to me than before. I'm just a brown walnut and blue steel guy though when it comes to revolvers.

Attachments

• IMG_E3033.JPG
    IMG_E3033.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The red is supposed to be a dead ringer for the original Colt varnish but I don't like it either. I'm going to use a black walnut stain on this one.

Just got my Uberti 58 Navy from Midway, on sale, free shipping and additional promo of 10% discount….total cost $357.
The fit, finish and action are superb, date on the gun is 2023. As you can see it’s an Uberti from Taylor’s, so much for those saying Midway sells “seconds”. I have bought several pistols from Midway and I have no complaints.
The grips don’t show that orange tint.

IMG_6402.jpeg

I never liked the Italian guns habit of covering nice walnut grips with a muddy red finish. If there is walnut under there, I strip them and just use a few coats of True Oil rubbed to a satin finish. Here is a Pietta 1858 Remington that I refinished. Even though it had plain grain but nice color walnut, it looks better to me than before. I'm just a brown walnut and blue steel guy though when it comes to revolvers.
I couldn't agree more, I love the look of oiled walnut. What did you use to strip the Italian varnish off? I've been thinking of refinishing mine as well

I couldn't agree more, I love the look of oiled walnut. What did you use to strip the Italian varnish off? I've been thinking of refinishing mine as well
Kwik-Strip Spray is what I always use. It foams up and even thick poly finishes peel off in sheets. That happened on a pair of new S&W revolver grips. Each side peeled off in one thick sheet each. I used to get at Walmart cheaper but now can only find at Ace Hardware here. The Pietta finish came right off with one coat then scrubbed with 0000 steel wool and acetone to clean up the syrupy residue.

Attachments

• IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have to agree with GYJ, I have a '21 1860 Army, it's probably my favorite revolver, b.p. or modern. I have a couple other new Ubertis, they're good guns, a lot of gun for the money

The case colors have me wondering why anybody still buys 2nd/3rd generation Colt's and two or three times the price.

The answer should be obvious... The 2nd Generation Colts say "Colt"... and were fitted and finished by Colt. The 3rd Gens... not so much. I look at the 3rd Gens much like their Italian cousins wearing extraneous verbiage, stamps and stupid warnings.

What did you use to strip the Italian varnish off? I've been thinking of refinishing mine as well
I've used Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover and Citristrip. Jasco is nasty stuff but is more effective. Citristrip takes more applications but it won't eat your gloves.

The answer should be obvious... The 2nd Generation Colts say "Colt"... and were fitted and finished by Colt. The 3rd Gens... not so much. I look at the 3rd Gens much like their Italian cousins wearing extraneous verbiage, stamps and stupid warnings.
The Colt name means little to me if the guns are not up to par. Fitted and finished by Colt means very little either. Tons of their other guns from the same era had some of the worst polishing ever seen. The only benefit I've seen to the Colt 2nd and 3rd generation guns is that they had real case colors. That gap has since narrowed. The new Uberti's are polished better and are probably as a whole better guns.

The red is supposed to be a dead ringer for the original Colt varnish but I don't like it either. I'm going to use a black walnut stain on this one.

I may be one of the few and in the minority of posters on this forum and a few others on other forums when it comes to the color of Uberti's stock/grip (whatever you may call them), but I have no problem with the finish. I've left and plan on leaving my stable of Colt's finish (and several Pietta's) as is and have no plans to refinish. Although some I have seen refinished do look nice such as Jaegermeister's.

I may be one of the few and in the minority of posters on this forum and a few others on other forums when it comes to the color of Uberti's stock/grip (whatever you may call them), but I have no problem with the finish. I've left and plan on leaving my stable of Colt's finish (and several Pietta's) as is and have no plans to refinish. Although some I have seen refinished do look nice such as Jaegermeister's.
No Crow Choker, you aren't the only one. I also came to like Uberti's reddish finish after seeing two early original Colt SAA's that had that same finish. As a matter of fact, I got to handle a 1887 SAA that was unfired. I only mention those guns in reference to grip color. Anyway, glad to see you posting on this site. You and I have conversed before on other sites where I post under the name Navy Six.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back