• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anyone make stainless octagon flintlock barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Investarms made a special run for Cabelas of stainless percussion's. find one of them and re breech it with a tanged plug.
stainless Hawken.jpg

If they had built something like their Lyman Trade Rifle in stainless I probably could not have resisted. I have a hard time gettin past rubber butt pads on a muzzleloader. I'm trying to figure out how to replace the one on a rebarreled TC White Mountain Carbine right now, without much luck. It's flat like a shotgun butt, but the extra 5/8" provided by the rubber butt pad makes a big difference to me as I'm 6'1". I'm thinking of going with a Shutzen? type and working down to the shape I want, which means filing 3/4 of the brass back off. Seems like a waste.

When I announced I wanted to build a left hand early Lancaster some on here went ballistic, and it almost got ugly. But it was my money, my time, and I AM left handed, so I built one.
I don't see why someone has to explain why they want a certain item. So I wouldn't waste my time explaining.
If your looking for a under 30"ish barrel I'd try the used websites, GB, Fleabay, etc. Over 30" or so you'll probably need a one-off custom made.
Good luck, happy hunting.

I agree, if someone asked for HC info, then knowledgable people should help out. If not then help them with what they want. For me it started with 'sporterizing' wwII unmentionables. One model had 3 million plus made, and some wanted to treat everyone of them like a Mona Lisa. And it got pretty ugly! Rubbed me the wrong way. Once the pro's and con's are fully discussed, then shift to support for the original posters desire. I think that's what these forums are for - educate and support.

I doubt you will find a stainless barrel or a stainless breach plug. I know you said stainless is what you'd like, but please explain your reasoning.
Dartwick wants a stainless steel flintlock. OP seems self explanatory.

I have a couple of stainless Investarm/Cabelas percussion guns and a stainless TC flintlock Firestorm (round barrel). Barrels are out there, just may take some searching.

I have a TC Firestorm that ihas a round stainless barrel from the factory. Also stainless lockate and cock. Frizzen is carbon steel .trigger and gard also stainless I like stainless just can't get past the plastic stock
Really need to proofread before posting stuff.
Will post a pic later.

I never have seen or heard of one.

Would a steel barrel and have it Creakoted (SP) take care of rust problems for hunting?
"Cerakoted".

Ceramic baked on finish, tougher than woodpecker lips. Absolutely WILL prevent exterior rust problems. Does not go in and should never be applied to the bore of any rifle, steel or stainless.

Yes, I think you would need to polish the SS to almost a chrome like finish to prevent pitting/staining.

No. I have several unmentionable stainless barrels/actions that are bead blasted to a matte finish. Perfect for hunting because they don't shine and glare, and a simple coat of Axe Wax keeps them looking like they were just blasted clean.

Even if you did get a SS barrel, you will still need to clean it soon after firing. A friend of mine loaded some .44 mag cases with 3f and they shot well but he didnt clean it for some time. It pitted his bore quite a bit and stained the metal badly.

It takes a little longer to trash stainless with BP but not a lot longer. Cleaning after shooting should be everybody's habit no matter what.

I almost fell over laughing when I read some of the comments. I feel pretty safe assuming nobody on here has ever built rifle using a wrought iron or Damascus steel barrel. These same people are building rifles with 20th century steels. They might even own entire stainless steel guns like a revolver.

Anyway, to answer your question OP, I have never seen a stainless steel octagon barrel for sale. I am pretty sure you could get one in a round barrel with shallow rifling, and a fast twist. There is another option you might consider, and that is an Ed Rayl bronze barrel. I think they look cooler than anything, right up there with the best Damascus patterns. They will still corrode inside from fouling, but bronze is pretty much impervious to any kind of outside forces. There's zero damage caused from a misty rain hunt. I have yet to try it, but I would think you would be better off with quick rinse of bronze than steel after a hunt. You can wash steel all you want, but if you don't get it dry, and then oiled, it will rust. I can only imagine if you wash out the powder fouling after a shot, that any residual water will not harm a bronze barrel, even without oil.

Realize that stainless is not corrosion or rust proof. It also refects the light in a
someimes blinding way. if you have a friend or can try a browned or blued
barrel try one. I can sight-in with a browned barrel the best. CVA had Hawkins
with Black chromed barrels which I had for awhile and loved it. If your rifle will
be used for hunting you will want to brown it or coat it to hide the chrome like
reflective stainless metal for better camo and to appear period correct.

I remember seeing some stainless steel octagon muzzle loader barrels decades ago. Made by custom barrel maker and advertised as a special in Track or dixie. Finding a stainless steel touch hole liner would be now problem. As pointed out the alloy having a minimal amount of chromium is stain resistant as most all steels called stainless can eventually stain. Cerakote is the finish that someone was trying to remember. I treat my Uberti Remington revolver in stainless as if it weren't.

Back