• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixon's Gun Fair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there today, and while it was smaller than in past years, part may have been due to the bad weather. I'm glad my experience was unlike some of those who posted.

I had a great time - entered a horn for judging, met Leonard Day, Stan Cherubin, and Roy Stroh for the first time, joined the Honorable Company of Horners, re-upped my NMLRA membership, chatted with Jim Fulmer, Allen Martin, Reaves Goehring, and Ken Gahagan, bought a few flints from Tim at RE Davis, and I'll be back tomorrow. If you're there and see a bearded guy in a desert camo Hawaiian shirt with a striped jute haversack, say hi.

Maybe the heat got to me, and I did enjoy talking with some of the notable builders and suppliers.

I was in the market for a couple new rifles. I was really interested in an iron mounted small caliber squirrel rifle. I didn't see a single rifle that even got my attention. I was looking for a custom built Hawken. All I saw was a Don Stith early full stock Hawken.

I guess that's why they call it the builders fair and not the sellers fair.

I have to run to Delaware County in the morning, but I'll be there in the afternoon. I have to pick up my horn - a great excuse to go back.

I have an Allen Martin rifle, so I'm pretty set on that score - although a jaeger would be nice, but a smooth ore - that's another story. Leonard Day has a new 1650s French smoothbore that is more expensive than his Dutch guns at $1900, but gets my imagination running. Allen Martin showed me a beautiful Central European fowler, and Ken Gahagan's Hudson Valley guns are always spectacular. He also had a Berks Co. rifle that made me rethink my unenthusiastic response to the style, to say the least.

Just got home from the gun fair had an enjoyable time with my dad. We'll worth the trip.

hadden west said:
I thought it was just me, but I was left with the same feeling. I drove 350 miles to get there, I arrived at noon, by 3:30 I had seen enough. Except for a walking stick, the rest of the stuff that I bought would fit in my pocket. It looked like a garage sale. I was so discussed with the fair, that I drove back home. A 700 mile round trip. The old guys are gone, and no one to fill their shoes. That's my last trip. I ask about parts for lock's and triggers and was ask, "Have you checked with Track of the Wolf?" That's from three different vendors.

From now on my business will be done on line.

I've been to three "shows" this year including this one and its been basically the same small core group of vendors at each one. This is industry is a tiny world so that really doesn't surprise me. Last time I was at Dixon's Fair was 2009 and I don't remember how it compared to this year. I went for the seminars and the gun judging this year, and that was well worth it.

As for the "old guys being gone", since I have been involved with this hobby for close to 10 years now I have been wondering what the future holds since almost everyone seems to be of "retirement age". I'm 37 years old and I always feel like I'm the youngest guy there by a lot. Is there a next generation coming up through the ranks? Brad Emig's son is the only one who comes to mind.

All the things that compete for the time of those of us who are working and raising families keep increasing, and I wonder just how many "young" guys are out there learning the craft who are able to put in the time that the guys who have been doing this for 30 years were able to.

By 2PM Saturday there were three dozen fine rifles on display in the garage and many fine accoutrements also. These items are brought in by the entrants for judging and are not there at the opening bell. Sorry for your disappointment but you went home too soon.

Bob Gular, proud Gun Fair worker of seventeen years.

Bob, I remember seeing you at the accoutrements table, and thank you for all your work.

You are absolutely right; there was a large number of guns and related items this year - 32 entries in the apprentice gun category alone, if memory serves, and many were of high quality. The weather did not cooperate, but there was still a lot to see. I'll try to download some pics from my camera in the next few days to show people a bit of the eye candy...

You're very welcome, but to be candid, this ain't really "work". Whether they be artists, judges, cadre, or attendees, the people at the aforementioned Fair are some of the finest folks I have ever associated with, yourself included. See you next year.

Hi,
I think folks should know that forum regular, Dane Lund, won best of class in the apprentice category for an outstanding copy of RCA 26, an early Berks County gun. Congratulations Dane!!

dave

Thinking about going for the first time,2017 is there an entry fee and what does it cost to tailgate with a table or two.Thanks in advance.Bruce N Y state

Back