• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie gun works poor boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ol Timer goin by your Avatar I reckon you've used a few in yer day, and who can fault yer ?
After all a Leg roast on a Spit needs separation from the main body before the cookin happens.
Yup But this bein the 21st century I've graduated to my battery operated sawzall for butcherin.

When I started cuttin down carcasses on the table in the TV room my Ex wife left me, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting an "Ex wife".
LOL!
in the last 30 years here we have cut 4 moose, 11 elk, one bear, more whitetail than i can count, ducks, geese, grouse and even a couple coyotes on the kitchen table.
my Lass would be one of the good ones!

I had a .50 flint Dixie TMR back around 1980 and foolishly sold it a few years later. About 20 years ago I found a new one in a local shop, and bought it. I still have it, and have done my best offhand work with it. Yes, its muzzle heavy, but that is the magic that makes it work so well for offhand work.

I've heard complaints about the flint locks, and bought a L&R replacement, but never installed it. The frizzen was a sloppy fit on the original, but it continues to fire quickly every shot.....it ain't broke so I'm not fixin' it.

Last edited:
The early builds .50cal with the 13/16 barrel are not muzzle heavy. Build #133 weighs in at 7.6 while #6969 tips the scale at 9.4 which is pretty heavy. Of my entire collection only my Browning Mountain Rifle in .50 is heavier at 9.6 pounds
A .50 caliber 13/16" barrel doesn't leave much wall thickness. I've never seen one at any rate.

Attachments

• EB573BF7-7783-47FD-98BD-EE5197425173.jpeg
    EB573BF7-7783-47FD-98BD-EE5197425173.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 52
  • D88F5ABE-0B5C-4F9C-B674-63655FD408E0.jpeg
    D88F5ABE-0B5C-4F9C-B674-63655FD408E0.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 7E1C9D53-4950-48BD-92F8-2A22D92A4256.jpeg
    7E1C9D53-4950-48BD-92F8-2A22D92A4256.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 4157A924-F7E8-4112-A2AC-9073866CD8E7.jpeg
    4157A924-F7E8-4112-A2AC-9073866CD8E7.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 67
There are what can be described as esthetic issues to these rifles-Some work by someone who wanted to fool with them could clean them up.
I use a .490 ball with a lubed patch and 70g of FFG mostly. Sometimes up to 110g for the fun of it. Fouls after about 5 shots and needs a patch or two to clean it up
DSCN0350.JPG
DSCN0366.jpg

Last edited:
There are what can be described as esthetic issues to these rifles-Some work by someone who wanted to fool with them could clean them up.
I use a .490 ball with a lubed patch and 70g of FFG mostly. Sometimes up to 110g for the fun of it. Fouls after about 5 shots and needs a patch or two to clean it upView attachment 136116

Theres a lot a fella can do with a Poor Boy style Rifle, Bone Nose cap; a scooped trough along the Cheek rest and a shallow incised line or two; Sleeve for a Vent pick and on it goes. Its all simple work nothing too demanding but IMHO enables the owner to form a personal bond with the Rifle.....they have feelings too doncha know.

LOL!
in the last 30 years here we have cut 4 moose, 11 elk, one bear, more whitetail than i can count, ducks, geese, grouse and even a couple coyotes on the kitchen table.
my Lass would be one of the good ones!

My 35 year old daughter is a very independent girl, loves Guns and took to shooting when she was a kid; can drop a beast; skin it on the ground; swing it up on Gallus hooks Gut and dress it down for meat setting.

When she discovered that her Ex was dealing Drugs years ago she called the Police and moved out with my then baby Grandson, she's what I call a sans bullshite woman, very proud of her.

Indeed there IS a lot one can do with these rifles. For those that have one ever notice there’s a lot of wood on the stock?

After a pro gun builder did a majority of the work reshaping mine, I took over and put the finishing touches on it. I learned an AWFUL lot doing what I did and I got a lot out of doing that. It doesn’t look anywhere near like the same rifle anymore. Plus it lost some of that weight.
Sure it’s not a Kibler or something fancy I paid a lot of money for - but it means so much to me that I doubt I’d ever part with it. If anything, this fueled my desire to learn more and more and perhaps one day - I’ll make one from scratch…all because of this little rifle.
I’m very thankful and humbled Mr. Kirkland put this into production! I only wish he were alive so I could show him how much I got and get out of it!

Others mileage may vary…
James

In my local gun shop today I found an old Dixie gun works poor boy percussion cap. What is everyone’s opinion of that rifle? It was a Miroku barrel I believe
I don’t know what it is about these guns, but they are just barrel heavy. They are definitely fun to shoot and noted for their accuracy. Both my .32 calibre & my .50 calibre were mighty accurate.

I had a .50 flint Dixie TMR back around 1980 and foolishly sold it a few years later. About 20 years ago I found a new one in a local shop, and bought it. I still have it, and have done my best offhand work with it. Yes, its muzzle heavy, but that is the magic that makes it work so well for offhand work.

I've heard complaints about the flint locks, and bought a L&R replacement, but never installed it. The frizzen was a sloppy fit on the original, but it continues to fire quickly every shot.....it ain't broke so I'm not fixin' it.
I’ve sold 4 of my personal guns in my lifetime…and regretted every one of those sales. I finally decided to give the practice up for Lent, and just never did it again.

Latest posts

Back