• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie gun works poor boy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'For me' ... waaaaaaaaaaaay too muzzle heavy! A lefty was my 1st flinter many, many years ago. Bought one used years ago - just because - another lefty, and I was going to cut the barrel down to 38" or so and trim it out some, but someone offered me more $$ than I paid for it, so I sold that one off too. Hate to admit it, but I've now come to despise straight profile 50-cal barrels, LOL!

They were reliable - imagine the cap version should be 100% anyway.

But that much weight out front was just too much for me, and yet my black powdah Schuetzen cartridge rifle weighs 14-pounds, but balances well, so it is effortlessly shootable.

I have one in 50 cal flintlock and it is a tack driver if the one you fount is a 32 cal and you dont buy it I would be interested thx
It felt good in the hand but could use cleaned up. I think it’s a 50 I’ll have to swing in and take another look

Had a caplock .32. Hardest-to-keep clean betwixt shots rifle I ever owned. It was a good gun, just frustrating. Now have the Dixie SMR flintlock .50 Miroku barrel - probably close to what you're looking at.

Dixie doesn't carry many parts for them any more. Screws are metric.
Bought mine as a project - lock frozen with rust, etc. BUT ..the bore actually cleaned up nicely and it shoots really well. From my limited "research", they're not a particularly coveted item but fun to use.

Had a caplock .32. Hardest-to-keep clean betwixt shots rifle I ever owned. It was a good gun, just frustrating. Now have the Dixie SMR flintlock .50 Miroku barrel - probably close to what you're looking at.

Dixie doesn't carry many parts for them any more. Screws are metric.
Bought mine as a project - lock frozen with rust, etc. BUT ..the bore actually cleaned up nicely and it shoots really well. From my limited "research", they're not a particularly coveted item but fun to use.
Awesome thanks for the info

I have one with both percussion & a flint lock, locks both are interchangeable. and in 50 CAL. it has the weight of a WALL GUN! but they are still sought after!

'For me' ... waaaaaaaaaaaay too muzzle heavy! A lefty was my 1st flinter many, many years ago. Bought one used years ago - just because - another lefty, and I was going to cut the barrel down to 38" or so and trim it out some, but someone offered me more $$ than I paid for it, so I sold that one off too. Hate to admit it, but I've now come to despise straight profile 50-cal barrels, LOL!

They were reliable - imagine the cap version should be 100% anyway.

But that much weight out front was just too much for me, and yet my black powdah Schuetzen cartridge rifle weighs 14-pounds, but balances well, so it is effortlessly shootable.

Theres an old fellas secret to re-balancing a ML long rifle........

Long, long ago I had a .50 straight 42" rifle. Muzzle heavy and I still hunted with it and no problems. And it was the best offhand rifle I ever owned. I eventually had to sell it and still mourn it.

I have 2 .50 TMRs and a .50 lefty project that is in need of a frizzen to return to the woods. There are quite a few differences between my #133 and #6969. Introduced in 1978, 133 has a walnut stock of different proportions, drop, fit and finish as well as a 13/16 barrel. Unlike 6969 it is not muzzle heavy.

Before I would hack saw a barrel I would pull the butt plate and drill holes into the stock and add weight in the holes replace the butt plate and be done, sure heavier rifle but a balanced one.

The old timers trick, before you go boring holes make up a small cloth saddle bag arrangement that can straddle the rear of the Butt stock of whatever ML needs balancing.

Using the Ball calibre that particular ML needs, add a cast lead Ball to each pocket (of the saddle bag) and hold the ML into your shoulder as you would for shooting to check the balance; now adjust the now counter balancing lead balls weight as required.

When you've decided that the counter weight is right then remove the "saddle bags" and Butt plate, drill a Ball tunnel a little larger in diameter of the cast lead Balls. Take the time to drill gradually according to how many Balls will occupy the hole; and a tad extra room for a "spacer" (a cut leather Flint wrap or patches will do) which keeps the Balls from moving about in their new abode.
Replace the Butt plate and smile, you've counterbalanced your ML and have a few cast Balls in reserve for an emergency.

If by chance your ML has a long deep Patch box in the Butt stock, that may prohibit the drilling of a Ball tunnel; you can try a series of smaller tunnels (not too close to surfaces) and pour small measures of molten lead in; but for me personally I'd avoid that if there's too little space left over because of the size of Patch box inletted.

There were no animals harmed or PC /Woke individuals offended during this presentation.

PS: Dont let your girlfriend / partner/ wife / Lady boy embroider cute little motifs on the cloth saddle bag, or it'll have you run out of camp.

Last edited:
In my local gun shop today I found an old Dixie gun works poor boy percussion cap. What is everyone’s opinion of that rifle? It was a Miroku barrel I believe
I'd buy one so fast the dollars would scorch coming out of my pocket. I have one of the LH Dixie .50 Miroku cherry stock SMR's from back in the day. Cherry trees are treasured in Japan, so to get a cherry stock is kind of cool.

Latest posts

Back