• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixi Gun Works Disappoints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sourpuss at Dixie?!? That must have been the guy I talked to on the phone years ago. I quit buying stuff from that place because of him.

For about 30 years Dixie was the place for everything muzzleloader related. I think they peaked in the 1990's and have been going downhill ever since. It's a shame, it used to be a solid company with an unmatched inventory. I haven't ordered from them years. TOTW, MBS, Log Cabin Shop, Stonewall Creek, etc.have picked up the slack.

Well, I hate to be negative, but I recently visited their showroom and had a neutral to negative experience. The ladies up front were sugar sweet. The CEO/owner/whatever he was in the side office, treated the wife and I like lepers. Wouldn't let me inspect one of the extensive collection of originals on the rack behind the counter. Real sourpuss. I had traveled out of my way on a vacation to get there and was disappointed. The place looked old, dated, and dusty. The prices are higher than their competitors. The car museum next door was ehh ok I guess. Just my 2c.
Back in March I stopped at Dixie's on the way back to Minnesota from visiting my son in Florida. Never been there and was looking forward to it.

A lot of stuff on the walls - you just can't get close enough to look at it. Poor lighting and it was behind the glass counter so you were ten feet away. Even the stuff on display in the glass counter was tough to view. Things had tags - but tiny scribbled words on small yellowed tags were very difficult to read. There were some other interesting displays of antique tools and stuff - but you weren't allowed to get close enough to look at them.

"Old, dated, and dusty" is a perfect way to put it.

This is my second large order from Dixi in the last six months. First I ordered a 1858 pietta and the thing had been dry fired so much the caps wouldn't even fit the nipples.
Now I ordered a sharps rifle $1,696,front sight $205 and a tang sight $287. The tang sight is covered with rust (see photo). What the hell I was under the impression this was a squared away company.
Frustrated!
That’s Flat Out Unacceptable . I have been wanting to buy a Winchester 73 octagon to round very hard to find but have been very weary because of things like this, believe me your not the first and they better get there Sh*#$T together or there not going to have out of business.

You can look at their website and tell they're not a squared away company.

There's a big red "staff shortage" notice on their website. That's a red flag for postponing an order.

My own experience with DGW has been positive, so I'm surprised at the number of bad experiences, but hey, tell it like it is. If they need to shape up, then they need to shape up.

This is my second large order from Dixi in the last six months. First I ordered a 1858 pietta and the thing had been dry fired so much the caps wouldn't even fit the nipples.
Now I ordered a sharps rifle $1,696,front sight $205 and a tang sight $287. The tang sight is covered with rust (see photo). What the hell I was under the impression this was a squared away company.
Frustrated!
I don’t like to disparage a company but I had an interesting encounter with them. I purchased a “new” pedersoli Indian trade gun over 1200 dollars. It was the only one they had in stock. When I got it, it was in terrible shape. All the pin holes for the barrel pins were blown out and splintered. Someone before me monkeyed with it. It should not have been sold as new. After a lot of back and forth (and not too friendly on their end) they finally took it back and a few weeks later I had my money back.

I noticed right after they received it, that gun was back in stock. I figured they are just going to pass it on to the next sucker. Anyway, that was enough to turn me off of them.

Some organizations or companies simply pass their expiration date, due to changing economics, passing of personnel, sales of the company to another owner, etc., etc. Maybe good ol' Dixie is simply running out of steam due to changing customer populations, the economy, or a combination of many factors.
I say you are totally right .I have seen it with lumber yards concrete plants roofing supply houses where the original owners pass it to their useless kids then it is downhill from there. when the owner gets old so does the guys that made the company with him

Agree with @brushblind. I've dealt with Dixie going back well over 40 years but they seem to be suffering from a lack of employees now. It's a shame. I'm not giving up on them but I rarely order from them now.
do not worry. the afreakans and hatians pouring in by the millions will staff dixie and it will be better then before

It literally breaks my heart when a great American company goes down hill.this is how we end up with so much Chinese junk for sale.
no it isnt. the problem lies where for 60 years kids were raised to never break a sweat or get dirty never had a hard day sent to college and then work in an office. the people that raised these kids are the ones that complain about no workers available lazy kids companies getting bad. the really sick thing is the guys that built these businesses handed them off to the totally useless kids they raised which condemns the business to doom

Frustrated!
New old stock

I still get a few components from them, recently got a bunch of mainsprings for flints and cap locks. All were good,
ands I still get screws and such, but nothing big. They do make shipping errors at times...

Recently got some screws for my Bess lock. Was happy and they even sent them Usps like I asked. Was quick to, but wasn’t big item.

Before fake covid, people would work. Now they want everything for free and to sit at home in their pajamas.

I must be one of the lucky ones... All of my experiences with Dixie have been very good. Everything I have ordered came in exactly as ordered... new and in great shape. A few years back I ordered a trade rifle and it was in fantastic shape. Recent orders have been on time and in new shape. Still like them after 50 years of doing business with them.

Frustrated!
I bought an 1861 Armi Sport Springfield from them a couple years ago....before they became almost unavailable. The barrel looked like it had water sitting in it for a short time. I immediately cleaned it and the corrosion was only mild surface level and there is no sign of it now but damn....how did that happen?

They are no longer the gold standard for antique and replica firearms.

Frustrated!
I'd go to Taylor's or any other retailer before buying from Dixie.

Frustrated!
Maybe used stuff and this is a way of getting rid of it, the one time I bought from them I think my item was used as well, probably wont go back for more!

Frustrated!
Dixie Gun Works one was a great company. They appear to have fallen to the way side.

Back