• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixi Gun Works Disappoints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I visited the actual store a couple of years ago as it was only an hour away from an N-SSA skirmish. You could tell the place had seen better days. While the front of the store is kind of cool from an antiques perspective the store really has the aura of a junk store. Turner Kirkland died in 1997 and the store looks like not much has been done with it since then. Most things that are labeled still have labels that were obviously typed out on a typewriter. Very little modern inventory is on display for customers. I don't know what the back-end operations look like.

The old car museum was kind of neat (and the reconstructed gunsmith shop) but clearly this is something that someone set up decades ago and now it's just been sitting with little attention.

I had only known of DGW from their huge catalog in the past, so I was kind of shocked when I saw it in person. I was expecting a more modern, kept-up store.

I don't really blame the store; I think this hobby is fading and it's hard for vendors to keep afloat. Seems like not a single store anywhere has a full inventory of reproduction arms available anymore. Try to find any store that carries a full like of Civil War reproduction guns anymore. Nobody has them. I heard Chiappa won't do less than a 300-piece run. What vendor can afford that anymore?
Good observations. Very thoughtful. I wonder who the actual owner(s) are? Most people don't know they had, at least at one time, a business that handled the full-auto type unmentionables. I know for sure I won't ever get there now in person; at one time, maybe, but not now. Times really do change but I wish them the best, as with all ML vendors and makers. Imagine the kerfuffle if they ever decided to liquidate and have a huge auction!

I visited years ago when Hunter was still alive. He couldn't even take the time to speak to me. I haven't bought from them in years!
Nit Wit
That’s sad because his step-dad Turner Kirkland was a very nice man who’d take the time to speak with you no matter how busy he was or who you were. I began ordering from the catalog when I was only 11, and once called and asked to speak with him and he got right on the phone and cordially explained why my order for a Sharps & Hankins sight screw was delayed and when I could expect it. I couldn’t have been more than 13 but he treated me with respect and kindness and some amount of fascination.

I talked to the man once, briefly. A little rushed, he was at least civil and answered my questions. The rest of the bunch acted like I was bothering them. That’s no way to run a company……

Purchased a Pietta Remington Old Army 44 with adjustable sights from Dixie. The front sight was way too low, it sort of a grouped about 9 inches below the aiming point, and it simply would not group according to numerous internet clips I'd seen. The Dixie gunsmith told me to ship it back. I shipped it back and Dixie sent me a new gun within 5 days. Gun 2 grouped okay but the front sight was still way too low; just like before. I was told to just ship the front sight back. Unfortunately the Italian screw holding the sight to the revolver didn't like my Brownells perfectly fitting magna-bit. It bend out of shape without much pressure. So I shipped gun 2 back. The Dixie gunsmith silver soldered an extension on the front sight and after several hours of Dremel work, lots of filing and 3 trips to the range, the revolver shoots to the point of aim. Cost me about $90.00 at UPS for shipping and insurance, a tank of gas for my truck and lots of time. Will I go back to Dixie? Shopped there when Turner Kirkland was around; nice old gentleman. Time will tell; I'm not too happy about the whole experience.

Then again, I see Midway sells the same revolver without adjustable sights for about $150 less than Dixie. Of course Midway indicates black powder firearms cannot be returned due to safety considerations. At least Dixie will take defective guns back and/or sort of fix them. Midway just might not see my business in the future.

SVanK

Then again, I see Midway sells the same revolver without adjustable sights for about $150 less than Dixie. Of course Midway indicates black powder firearms cannot be returned due to safety considerations. At least Dixie will take defective guns back and/or sort of fix them. Midway just might not see my business in the future.

SVanK
Midway will not take it back if one decides to just return it but not if something is wrong with it, being mechanical or cosmetic. I once received a Dragoon with a stain on the frame and after calling customer service I was told to return it for an exchange or refund. I was able to polish off the stain so I kept it.

Good observations. Very thoughtful. I wonder who the actual owner(s) are? Most people don't know they had, at least at one time, a business that handled the full-auto type unmentionables. I know for sure I won't ever get there now in person; at one time, maybe, but not now. Times really do change but I wish them the best, as with all ML vendors and makers. Imagine the kerfuffle if they ever decided to liquidate and have a huge auction!
My principle complaint about any aspect of the ML hobby is the soaring costs. When I started, we would order great kits from The Golden Age Arms Company for less than $300! Adjusted for inflation, that would be $617 today. No way you get a good kit for that now. I got my first firearm deer with a kit rifle from Golden Age, and scores of smaller game. I was hooked!
I don't buy anything at these new prices.

Yeah I never even called them about the revolver I just fixed it and moved on. I sent them an email about the sight so we shall see. It is a pedersoli sight and wasn't even in a box. They just wrapped it and the screws in bubble wrap and tossed it in with the gun.
As far as I'm concerned great service trumps low price every single time, try to screw me once and never get my business again.

Been buying from DGW and going to their store once a year for about 17yrs. Always a pleasant experience and no complaints. Maybe some folks should stick to Walmart.

You may be right,I have never purchased a $300 item that was rusted and not in the manufacturers original packaging from Walmart.
You're getting jacked around on prices. If you buy at inflated prices, prices will inflate more. I know many people want their toys now, but I suggest mustering the courage to walk away from a purchase when the product is over-priced.
We've been through bizarre market forces that have disoriented prices at every level. To allow them to normalize, we may have to step back for a while.

Back