• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirt-cheap felt cushion wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is well.
In Australia, the availability of black powder shooting supplies can be hard to find and sometimes rather pricey.

In my cylinder bore 12g shotty I use adhesive furniture anti-scuff felt pads as a combination overpowder/cushion wads. These are the kind you stick under your chair legs. They come factory made in 19mm (3/4”) size.

Don’t peel off the paper to expose the adhesive. Just leave it alone. Dip the felt with your lubricant of choice and let it dry. Don’t let your lubricant get on the underside so it doesn’t touch your powder.

These are slightly oversized for a 12g bore which means they produce a good gas seal as well as scraping some fouling when you seat them (the lubricant in the felt helps keep the fouling soft). I use a 19mm hole punch to make overshot cards from poster board.

This eliminated the need for a card over the powder, though of course one can still be used. Or, you can buy a sheet of this furniture floor felt, remove the paper over the adhesive and stick it to some poster board. Then use a hole punch and mallet to make them.

Recovered felt wads show the paper still covering the adhesive backing and they would be re-usable if you were really frugal.

Hello, hope everyone is well.
In Australia, the availability of black powder shooting supplies can be hard to find and sometimes rather pricey.

In my cylinder bore 12g shotty I use adhesive furniture anti-scuff felt pads as a combination overpowder/cushion wads. These are the kind you stick under your chair legs. They come factory made in 19mm (3/4”) size.

Don’t peel off the paper to expose the adhesive. Just leave it alone. Dip the felt with your lubricant of choice and let it dry. Don’t let your lubricant get on the underside so it doesn’t touch your powder.

These are slightly oversized for a 12g bore which means they produce a good gas seal as well as scraping some fouling when you seat them (the lubricant in the felt helps keep the fouling soft). I use a 19mm hole punch to make overshot cards from poster board.

This eliminated the need for a card over the powder, though of course one can still be used. Or, you can buy a sheet of this furniture floor felt, remove the paper over the adhesive and stick it to some poster board. Then use a hole punch and mallet to make them.

Recovered felt wads show the paper still covering the adhesive backing and they would be re-usable if you were really frugal.
Creative solution. Admire your ability to adapt.

Cool idea. I have some 1 inch furniture coasters, as we call them here in 🇨🇦, 1/8 thick. Punching them with a 5/8 for my 20 gauge. Woods are real dry this summer so looking for some fire retardant wad material.

Attachments

• 7A507135-7008-40BA-8E08-9741B0D1772E.jpeg
    7A507135-7008-40BA-8E08-9741B0D1772E.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 58
Back