• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have Been Using A Different Approach Making Felt Wads.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, for 37 years I've been missing out on all this "FUN"(?). All this time I've just ordered them online. Come prepackaged in 100 pc lots... I only handle them once also... when I load my revolver! ;)
I doubt the bought wads cost as much as our super duper home built wads do.. Duro-felt is not cheap, bees wax always handy and just try to buy rendered bear oil ! Well thanks a lot for shooting down all my bright ideas with practical logic ! 😄

I doubt the bought wads cost as much as our super duper home built wads do.. Duro-felt is not cheap and just try to buy rendered bear oil ! Well thanks a lot for shooting down all my bright ideas with practical logic ! 😄
No problem... glad to be of service! Although in my unmentionable BP loads I use a card wad to separate powder from bullet by punching out the correct diameter from a waxed card type milk carton. The trick there is to make sure there's no lube on the base of the bullet, otherwise the card can stick to the bullet and can upset accuracy. No one sells anything like that (I don't think poly wads do as good a job keeping the bore clean), so punching them out myself is about the only game I've found.

Fiber wad so as not to stick to the base and ride along for the fun, and right it will cause accuracy problems if card stock sticks to the base of the projectile…

I doubt the bought wads cost as much as our super duper home built wads do.. Duro-felt is not cheap, bees wax always handy and just try to buy rendered bear oil ! Well thanks a lot for shooting down all my bright ideas with practical logic ! 😄
Pack of Wonder Wads, 100 pieces, in .36 caliber after taxes in Canada about $18.00 Canadian ($13.60 USD) puts them at 18 cents a wad, the last batch I made I calculated at 10 cents a wad. On the plus side I found a farm about an hour from me that sells beef tallow for $2.99 Can ($2.26 US) a pound. I was using lamb tallow but the farm I get it from raised their price to $40.00 Can ($30.20 US) a pound. I'm switching over to Beef Tallow.

I never tried Beef Tallow always used the mutton, Is there any difference or does it behave the same as lamb have been wanting to give a whirl.

I never tried Beef Tallow always used the mutton, Is there any difference or does it behave the same as lamb have been wanting to give a whirl.

According to Mike Beliveau Beef Tallow is almost as good as Lamb Tallow, the LT provides better lubricating properties and keeping the fouling softer, this was in a video he did about 10 years ago on making your own wonder wads.

No problem... glad to be of service! Although in my unmentionable BP loads I use a card wad to separate powder from bullet by punching out the correct diameter from a waxed card type milk carton. The trick there is to make sure there's no lube on the base of the bullet, otherwise the card can stick to the bullet and can upset accuracy. No one sells anything like that (I don't think poly wads do as good a job keeping the bore clean), so punching them out myself is about the only game I've found.
I buy the veggie fib wads in two thicknesses, .030 or .062” for bullets. Rarely use wool wads with bullets but sometimes a rifle wants just that.

According to Mike Beliveau Beef Tallow is almost as good as Lamb Tallow, the LT provides better lubricating properties and keeping the fouling softer, this was in a video he did about 10 years ago on making your own wonder wads.
I am going to get some I always like having a back up of some kind, right on.

Pack of Wonder Wads, 100 pieces, in .36 caliber after taxes in Canada about $18.00 Canadian ($13.60 USD) puts them at 18 cents a wad, the last batch I made I calculated at 10 cents a wad. On the plus side I found a farm about an hour from me that sells beef tallow for $2.99 Can ($2.26 US) a pound. I was using lamb tallow but the farm I get it from raised their price to $40.00 Can ($30.20 US) a pound. I'm switching over to Beef Tallow.
Dang, had no idea they were that expensive per hundred, never bought any! Your making me feel better all the time about how expensive my home built wads are. I shot the bear while hunting caribou, had the bees wax given to me but did have to fork over for Duro-felt and shipping.

I buy the veggie fib wads in two thicknesses, .030 or .062” for bullets. Rarely use wool wads with bullets but sometimes a rifle wants just that.
Yeah, I use the veggie wads dry, for all my cast bullet rifle loads in .062. Good stuff for cast bullet wads. Course in these the bullet grooves carry the lube.
The only time I use jacket bullets any more is for hunting moose and caribou.

What a great idea, seating the wax paper against the powder charge,if it stays on in the cutting and handling!
Press them together good and make sure your punch is sharp, also I use a plastic kitchen type cutting board for a cutting surface, one solid wack will drive the punch through the layers leaving a crisp edge on the cut wad. I have never had a problem with cutting them.

Yeah, I use the veggie wads dry, for all my cast bullet rifle loads in .062. Good stuff for cast bullet wads. Course in these the bullet grooves carry the lube.
The only time I use jacket bullets any more is for hunting moose and caribou.
Zackly… it’s been a while since I’ve used jacketed bullets for anything, cow elk aren’t really big or tough skinned compared to moose. A big bullet from a .50 works very well. I honestly prefer the big .45’s but they’re illegal here so naturally I wouldn’t think of using them…

Being tighter than" Dicks Hat band" as in miserly, I'm going to start looking for and picking up old felt hats from gun and craft shows and make my wads from them I think. Got to do something to offset the new prices of caps and powder ! 😄
We had a photographer hang around here for a few years taking photos of western ranchers and ranch life. Beautiful stuff. One year a lady tagged along and she bought up a bunch of old hats and some jeans
IMG_3255.jpeg
from people, somebody said she sold them in a vintage shop in New York City.

Back