• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different calibers different bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I start hunting with them, they get their own bag. nothing like sitting in the stand with an unloaded gun.
(Don't ask how many times.)

Made a bag for every gun. But they are used more like "Range" bags. I made another, smaller bag that I use for hunting. Given what I hunt, I am not going to take that many shots, in most cases hopefully only one! Deer and Turkeys I generally can only shoot one per season, pheasants are 3 a day. (Squirrel and rabbit are always done with an antique single shot rimfire, something of a tradition) So When I go hunting I only take enough lead, wads, patches, etc. for about five or six shots; the possibly needed tools and preventative maintenance stuff, and a small priming horn with more than enough powder. Lighter weight, easier to manage, and the potential to lose less stuff due to my fumbly fingers!

I have a bag per gun, and then a haversack er ah possibles bag, that I keep a cleaning kit and general tools and assorted French pancakes to take care of all my ml guns.
Do have extra horns and ramrods as many as stars in the sky
You keep French pancakes in your haversack too? I thought I was the only one.

i think since my gun building has gotten to the one step forward, two steps back to fix something, i am going to make some bags tomorrow. you guys have inspired me. figure i need several.
one for one for .30 flintlock, one for .45 flintlock, one for .50 flintlock, one for ,54 flintlock.
one for .36 percussion, one for .45 percussion, one for 50 percussion, one for 11g percussion.
one for my walker 44 would be nice too. i have a brain tanned bear hide i could use. just keep the head on the stair post to say good morning to on the way to coffee.

This thread caught my attention right away. Just a couple of days ago I got frustrated with a single bag to cover everything from .32 to .58 cal and started setting up a bag for each cal. So much more simpler. 😃

It also helps to keep a small piece of paper in each bag with the powder charge, twist, ball size, weight of the gun etc. in case you do not shoot one for a time. You think you will remember, but sometimes you don't.

That's how I have it, a bag for every caliber and a horn for every size powder. 4 bags, .50, .54, .58 and .62 and 3 horns, 2F, 3f and a priming horn.

Don't hunt anymore so just had everything in a shooting box to take to the range but that got very heavy. I keep a small box in the car with targets, stapler, eye and ear protection, etc. Now I use separate heavy canvas bags for flintlocks (all 50 caliber), 50 caliber percussion rifle and pistol, 32 caliber rifle and pistol. Also two shooting boxes: one for the Ruger Old Army's and Roger and Spenser and one for the Colts and Remingtons. Sounds like a lot but it makes checking gear simpler, it's easier to grab and go, and a lot lighter. There's a lot of duplication of powder horns/flasks, measures, cappers and so on but we (or at least I) tend to pick up duplicate stuff over the years.

Jeff

Being I only have one flintlock, I only need one bag.

But the unmentionable's have a reloading field bag for each caliber.

The 1860 colt has its own bag also. Being it and the rifle are the same caliber, but use different stuff.

A pouch and horn for each gun.

I store all my other French pancakes in a giant plywood crate/shooting box my FIL built in the 70s for tailgate use when he was a regular competitor with muzzleloaders. That crate lives under a bench in the shop on a pair of small moving dollies so I can roll it out to open it. He was younger then than I am now and at this point a "range box" needs to be crew served or self-propelled.

Back