• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PLAIN bag for a PLAIN old man ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dye my hemp straps with walnut hull dye to remove the 'whiteness' of the raw hemp strap. The strap on the left is undyed and the three straps on the right have all been dyed with walnuts. I like how the color turns out and is a nice contrast with brown leather attachments and bags,
Ohio Rusty ><>
thanks for showing the picture showing different shades

Not having much talent for crafts, I decided to make a very simple hunting pouch truer to 18th-century tradition than 19th, as I have a flint smoothie inbound.
I happened to be watching one of Ben Hoffman's Youtubes and took some of his guidance. I made the pattern out of a manilla folder then cut the front and back halves of the bag from 3-ounce vegetable-tanned cowhide and stitched in a welt to give some strength. The day before, I had started some 0000 steel wool well-washed to remove any oils in a cup or two of white vinegar for a fresh batch of vinegaroon. In less than 24 hours it yielded a usable black-blue stain, and I then rubbed in some mink oil to soften and protect. Added a pewter button for closure. I should see my hemp webbing in the mail today from Turkeyfoot Traders and then I can attach the simple strap. Might consider dying the hemp, although I hear it is not among the easiest of natural fibers to take and hold a dye. The bag will hold a worm and tow, a couple of spare flints, a few appropriate wads, a small pouch of shot and a small pouch of .690 round balls -- not the contents of the Library of Congress! 😄
very nice work

Latest posts

Back