• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Diamondback Powder..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any pros or cons on this Powder?? I see Powder Inc. has it at a lower price than Goex. Just wondering if it is worth taking a chance on it.....

Umm went to their site and found a link to Elephant powder. :shocked2: This apperantly is an imported black powder but couldn't find from where. If it's from Brazil though I would pass on it unless it gets rave reviews which I doubt.

I would buy the KIK powder @ Powder INC if I was looking for powder less expensive than Goex. It is slightly better than Goex in my opinion, but close enough to go with either Goex or KIK based upon price.

You will not be dissapointed with KIK

It goes boom.Worked good for blanks.It did not really impress me for live fire though.To prime with it I would say it s()cked.I went through 9 pounds of it and would not buy it again.Its made with the old Elephant equipment/plant.

So take it for what its worth.

Alex

If it's the same as the old Elephant powder I would pass. I don't have lots of experience with Elephant, but what I had was the dirtiest powder I ever used.

Lead Slinger said:
Any pros or cons on this Powder?? I see Powder Inc. has it at a lower price than Goex. Just wondering if it is worth taking a chance on it.....

It's good for reenacting or blank shooting. Other than that, get KIK or GOEX powder because they burn MUCH cleaner and will give more consistant velocities.

I seem to recall the old Elephant plant blew up. Saw the pics on the net. Am I thinking of the right place? They must have re-built it and re-named it. Bill

They may just be a distributor, not sure. I read the Company is the former IMR smokeless powder Company. They discontinued the Smokeless line and went into distributing black powder.

I won some kik at a shoot and tried it and liked it for clean burning, so I ran some through chrony tests and was amazed that it proved more consistant than Geox so I bought a case! :bow: As to the elephant powder I also won some at a shoot and it was HORRIBLE , I had won 3 lbs I gave away two and almost all of the third. I would not buy any powder from Brazil based on my experience with the elephant powder. :idunno:

Swampy said:
They may just be a distributor, not sure. I read the Company is the former IMR smokeless powder Company. They discontinued the Smokeless line and went into distributing black powder.

That doesn't sound right. IMR makes the White Hot pellet sub BP, but I can't see them giving up the smokeless business for that. It's not a great seller.

I never heard that the Elephant Company blew up but I did hear that the land it was sitting on was more valuable than the plant so it was sold.

From the photos I've seen of the Elephant Company it looked like it wouldn't take much to move the equipment and get it up and running again.

Perhaps that is what was done?
I have heard that the Diamondback black powder is made in Brazil.

Capper said:
Swampy said:

That doesn't sound right. IMR makes the White Hot pellet sub BP, but I can't see them giving up the smokeless business for that. It's not a great seller.

From their site,

Based in Tamaqua, PA, USA, Diamondback Chemical Company Inc. (DCCI) is an importer and distributor of high quality black powder and has been supplying sporting gunpowder for over 20 years. Formerly known as IMR Powder Company Inc., DCCI changed the corporate name and exited the smokeless powder business in 2003 to focus on the import and distribution of high quality black powder at a low cost.

Diamondback Black Powder has been specially developed to provide the best value to our customers for the following uses:

ӢBlack gun powder for hunting and sports shooters
ӢBlack powder for fireworks
ӢBlack powder for explosive fuses
Diamondback Black Powder is manufactured by Elephant Industria Quimica (EIQ) in Brazil to DCCI’s technical specifications. EIQ has been supplying products for national and global businesses for more than 12 years and is known for tradition and quality in black powder. All products are manufactured to the most strict quality and environmental criteria and technical specifications. Product quality and ballistic tests are confirmed by SGS Group, the world's largest control and inspection company.

For more information on our suppliers, please visit them on the World Wide Web at:

ӢEIQ: http://www.elephantbrazil.com.br/index.php
ӢSGS: http://www.us.sgs.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamond Back powder

I have some in FFg I have not shot a lot of it and then only in my .36
I saw no problems with it, worked fine for me but I did not shoot more then
20 to 25 shots last fall with it and have not had a chance to go back
shooting it this year.

Made in Brazil by Elephant industries. www.elephantbrazil.com.br

Imported by Diamondback Chemical Co. www.diamonbackchemical.com

William Alexander

Thanks a heap for the info. But, as usual, the Missus got the last word in! She has stated" Your gonna buy the cheaper Powder , then your gonna whine and say you shoulda bought Goex!" Does that fine Lady know me or what. Might as well stick with the best....

Swampy said:
Capper said:
Swampy said:

From their site,

Based in Tamaqua, PA, USA, Diamondback Chemical Company Inc. (DCCI) is an importer and distributor of high quality black powder and has been supplying sporting gunpowder for over 20 years. Formerly known as IMR Powder Company Inc., DCCI changed the corporate name and exited the smokeless powder business in 2003 to focus on the import and distribution of high quality black powder at a low cost.

Diamondback Black Powder has been specially developed to provide the best value to our customers for the following uses:

ӢBlack gun powder for hunting and sports shooters
ӢBlack powder for fireworks
ӢBlack powder for explosive fuses
Diamondback Black Powder is manufactured by Elephant Industria Quimica (EIQ) in Brazil to DCCI’s technical specifications. EIQ has been supplying products for national and global businesses for more than 12 years and is known for tradition and quality in black powder. All products are manufactured to the most strict quality and environmental criteria and technical specifications. Product quality and ballistic tests are confirmed by SGS Group, the world's largest control and inspection company.

For more information on our suppliers, please visit them on the World Wide Web at:

ӢEIQ: http://www.elephantbrazil.com.br/index.php
ӢSGS: http://www.us.sgs.com/

Are we talking about the same company?
http://www.imrpowder.com/

Capper
From what I'm reading, the IMR smokeless division was bought by Hodgdon Powder who continues to sell the IMR smokeless powder using the IMR designations. This is good because a lot of folks load with the IMR smokeless for their cartridge guns. I'm among them.

The Diamondback Chemical company kept the Black Powder end of the former company and is now importing their powder from Brazil.

I've read negative reviews that match what some have posted here of the diamondback. I went with repackaged wano from graf's (their house brand) since they were out of stock on goex. It was cheaper, and I couldn't tell the difference to boot. I'll offer ya the disclaimer that I don't get out to shoot bp as much as the others here. I was suspicious with a german made powder for a buck cheaper a pound, but I won't hesistate to buy it again-might want to give it a try.

Back