• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer season ended at 5:00pm today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Deer season ended tonight at 5:00pm shortly after a Doe stepped out of the clear-cut / regrowth area and into the hardwoods where my stand is.

When she got to about 40 yards I made a rookie mistake and started moving my hand to pull off the hammer stall thinking she wasn’t quite looking my way...but she spotted me, stopped and stared...I froze...she did the head circle thing, stamped her foot, etc...after a while something distracted her enough to turn her head off to the side, I flipped off the hammer stall, put the .54cal Flintlock on her heart and touched it off.

She bolted back towards the clear-cut but never made it...sprayed a foot wide swath of blood out of the chest hole all the way until she dropped 20yds past where I'd hit her.

Flintlock summary so far:

.62cal
8 point
6 point
Sapling instead of a 10 point
Squirrel out of frustration
Doe
Doe

.58cal
”˜Doe’ that turned out to be a cowhorn

.54cal
Doe

No braggin’ bucks this year but filled my tags and gave all the deer to a needy family who divided them up with other needy neighbors.

Going to go after a couple squirrels with a .28ga smoothbore Flintlock & #6's for a change of pace.

Life is good...

You had a great year indeed, Roundball. And I'm sure those folks were very greatful for you bringing the venison up to them. :thumbsup:
Am I correct in remembering that the .54 is a smooth bore??

snagg

snagg said:
You had a great year indeed, Roundball. And I'm sure those folks were very greatful for you bringing the venison up to them. :thumbsup:
Am I correct in remembering that the .54 is a smooth bore??
snagg
The .54cal Hawken I used yesterday has a TC rifled Flint barrel.

Another Hawken I have has the GM .54cal smoothbore Flint barrel...going to try a squirrel or 3 with it using #6's.

Outstanding Flint barrel by the way...15/16" x 33"...terrific shot patterns and shoots PRBs like a rifle...took a couple bucks with it last year.

PS:
GM just put their remaining few on close out sale too...check with Ed Cain, cainsoutdoor West VA...$160 includes shipping...no current plans to make any more as I understand it

The task ahead of us is never as great
as the Power behind us!

Good going roundball. :thumbsup:

Back