• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finished deer hunting this evening by filling my last tag with my flintlock T/C Hawken. I thought I missed when all four does took off at the shot. I couldn't tell which one I shot at due to the smoke. I went to where she was standing and could not find blood or hair so I followed the path I thought she took. Never found blood, but could see the deer about 30 yards to my right. Never saw her fall. None of them looked hit and I was assuming I missed. I was pleasantly surprised when I found her.

I'll post a picture from my phone.

20231229_171215.jpg

Excellent and Good for You!
It is quite common to watch a fatally wounded deer/animal run off as if nothing ever touched them. Glad you followed up and recovered her, though you initially had your doubts. Fine hunting, killing and harvesting you prey. Looks like a perfect shot, too.

Thanks, all.

I learned the hard way years ago about following up my shot when bow hunting. I don't always find a deer I've shot at, but I always make the effort. I figure I owe it to the deer. They sometimes heal up with errant arrows. I've had that happen several times over the years. Still, you have to assume the deer is hit if you shoot until you can prove otherwise or exhaust all avenues of search. If you deer hunt long enough, you will lose one on occasion.

I finished deer hunting this evening by filling my last tag with my flintlock T/C Hawken. I thought I missed when all four does took off at the shot. I couldn't tell which one I shot at due to the smoke. I went to where she was standing and could not find blood or hair so I followed the path I thought she took. Never found blood, but could see the deer about 30 yards to my right. Never saw her fall. None of them looked hit and I was assuming I missed. I was pleasantly surprised when I found her.

I'll post a picture from my phone.
Right on bro. Ya did good, and with a flintlock to boot.

You will have some good eating there.

Right on bro. Ya did good, and with a flintlock to boot.

You will have some good eating there.
Thanks. Skinning and quartering is on the agenda today.

The whole scene was almost comical. There were four in a tight group. The one I shot stepped into a good opening at 60 yards. At the shot, they all went bounding off in the same general direction, but were zigging and zagging. I had no clue which one to watch.

The setup on the rifle worked great. It is a kit I assembled 30 some years ago, got frustrated with the lock, traded it to a friend, and traded back for it two years ago. I bought a replacement lock from a member here. I added the Williams sight this spring.

I was limiting my shot to 50 yards due to lack of confidence in my ability, but couldn't pass on this doe. I'm very happy with how it worked out. Obviously I need to be shooting this rifle a lot more to increase my confidence, but a Kibler SMR in 40 cal fell into my lap, so to speak, and it has been getting most of my attention.

Very nice! Great lesson for me. Thanks for sharing. Where did you hit her?
I hit her high in the shoulder. I usually try to hit a spot 2 inches above the elbow. This one was just above mid line and a couple inches further forward than I prefer. If you look closely, you can see the entry wound.

I hit her high in the shoulder. I usually try to hit a spot 2 inches above the elbow. This one was just above mid line and a couple inches further forward than I prefer. If you look closely, you can see the entry wound.
Where did the ball stop? Assuming it didn’t go through

Latest posts

Back