• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dane puppy loves my new powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I left my newly completed first powder horn on the table, and my Dane puppy ate the whole dang tip off. Was gonna show ya'll some pics, but was waiting on batteries for the camera. So anyway, any one have any sugestions to fix this? Its all gone up to the ring around the neck, about 1" worth, and then the cavity inside opens up. I was thinking mabey carve a wood spout? don't like the look of the brass spouts. thanks in advance, and I love this forum.

My only loss to the "puppy teething stage" was an antler handled awl that had a 1" x 4" section of elk antler. Luckily, I noticed what he was gnawing before he perforated hisself. Unfortunately, the antler was mostly gone. Stuck it in a piece of whitetail crown and forgave him, but moved everything up another two feet. :shake:

I had a priming horn that had one of those brass priming tips on it. Well, I wanted to use it for a day horn for my 32 cal. squirrel rifle. So I took tje brass tip off and fashioned a whole new tip outa antler. Works and looks pretty good. Just MTCW.

Shane maybe ya can find another piece of horn about the same dia. smooth off both pieces to match then glue the two together. After they dry wrap n sew the joint with rawhide to further secure the two pieces together. Then coat the hide with a water resistent finish so if the joint cracks a bit, moisture doesn't get inside. Unless ya just want to use the horn for something else like a cup or a couple of containers of some sort like a salt horn or fire starting kit container. Just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Rebel said:
My only suggestion would be to keep your horn up where the pup can't reach it. :grin:

Or eat the puppy! That there is Cheyenne soul food. :rotf: :rotf:

I'll post some pics tomorrow for you of a couple horns I have that may help.

Here's one of them made from a couple different horns.
IMG_1777.jpg

thanks for the tips guys, I just got a horn that has a realy thick tip, (the entire horn is almost solid) so I think I'll try to splice in a new tip with that. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Back