• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saving an Old Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had this horn forever. It had several cracks, an ill-fitting plug, no fill spout plug, and some holes at the base when I got it off a yardsale table.

I fixed the plug and tried to seal the holes to make the horn airtight, but the damage was pretty bad and the horn was a little brittle. I could never decide what to do with it and I finally determined to turn it into a shot horn that would only need to be able to hold loose pellets and not dangerous and fragile powder.

I built a pine plug that I painted blue to match my tradegun's stock. Patched the big holes and cracks with some sheet brass stock and carved a stopper with a heart shape to match the homespun weeping heart thumb piece of the tradegun. I painted the plug's heart red, that might have been gilding the lily a bit much. Scraped away a lot of rot from the outside and sealed it with a bit of stain to try to stabilize what was left. I carved a strap groove near the neck of the horn and opened the hole a bit for the shot to fit through. Finally, an old drawer pull became the other strap attachment point in the plug. It might not be historically correct, but it did save a horn from the waste basket.

The measure is made from a .45-70 case.

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • horn1.jpg
    horn1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • horn3.jpg
    horn3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I like it, looks like something out of Mad Max if it took place in the 1800's, but better to repurpose than throwing it away.

Latest posts

Back