• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some advice guys. I am most likely going to be purchasing a CVA Mountain rifle (that's what they call it). Looks kinda like a TC Hawken but with two wedge pins and a different trigger guard. It has a 32" barrel, maple stock and what looks to be a silver patchbox. The barrel is stamped Made in USA. Is this the original barrel? My old brain kinda recalls something that the early CVA's were made in the USA...is that right? Did they actually come with a brown barrel and buttplate? It's a very nice looking rifle and I'm sure it's going to wind up in my house.

just gotta figure out how to tell my bride. :hmm:

I gave one to my neighbor as a gift, the early ones sported a made in the USA barrel and from what I understand they are more desired. I gave one with a Spanish barrel on it to my neighbor as a gift for letting me hunt on his land year after year and it shot lights out to 50 yards. That is as far as we tested it.

B

Can't help too much with the CVA questions. As for the Bride, "look what I got you for Valentines Day sweetheart" :rotf: :rotf: and be sure to duck!

Mountainman56 said:
Need some advice guys. I am most likely going to be purchasing a CVA Mountain rifle (that's what they call it). Looks kinda like a TC Hawken but with two wedge pins and a different trigger guard. It has a 32" barrel, maple stock and what looks to be a silver patchbox. The barrel is stamped Made in USA. Is this the original barrel? My old brain kinda recalls something that the early CVA's were made in the USA...is that right? Did they actually come with a brown barrel and buttplate? It's a very nice looking rifle and I'm sure it's going to wind up in my house.

just gotta figure out how to tell my bride. :hmm:

They came finished and in kit form. Dont know about thebrowned stuff. The buzz has been that USA marked barrels were made by Douglas,and I go along with that. German silver furniture, iron/german silver ferrules, primitive rear sight, slow twist barrel. I have seen a couple of different ferrules on these as well as a couple of different trigger guards....mine are round and the trigger guard seems refined/abbrieviated. Iron(maybe GS) buttplate with toe piece. my trigger and lock have given me NO issues and the gun shoots great! its old and well used.
They did market the big bore mt rifle, which was a .58 and no patch box.

So, I gotta ask....how much?

Have one with made in USA a cap and a flinter that don't have the USA but don't have Spain on it either. Both are .45s. Cap is fron 70s, never been fired. I got them of guy in Alba. he had the Mt rifle and a Kentucky in kits that he never put together. The Kentucky had most of the parts, I had to buy a bunch of parts for the MT. The patch box is German silver,wedge plates, and pewter nose cap. I think 1-66 twist? I finished them both. You can get parts from Deer Creek as I got a sear spring for the Flinter from them. Got the other parts from CVA before they Quit the sidelocks. Dilly

I bought a factory CVA Mt rifle in the mid 70's. (Wish I still had it) It came with a brown barrel and German silver patch box. Mine was in 50 cal, and it was a tack driver, and I could still see to shoot back then lol!It was made in the USA.

Buy it. Pull the lock and inspect the sear arm and notches in the tumbler. If chipping is found, get a good smith to make corrections and tune the lock up. 70 grains of just about anything under a 495 should shoot as well as any of us will ever need, and the accuracy will hold way on up there in the charge range. Heck, if it is a USA barrel with the six sided ferrules, the parts are worth more than that!

Okay..........well I guess it will be "Happy Valentine's Day Darlin". I hope I survive. :rotf: If y'all never hear from me again you know what happened.

..get a wire inlay done on the cheek piece, and have her name put in, in silver!
all will be good! :grin:

I have found the following simple two step process useful in these kinds of situations:

1. "Yes dear, you're right. I'm sorry."
2. Present the gift (flowers, candy, Lexus, etc).

Repeat as needed.

And just in case, can I have the mountain rifle if the process doesn't work and she kills you?

BUY THAT RIFLE TODAY ! Seriously, just go and get it. Put it up in the attic of your house and after it has gathered some cobwebs and dust, bring it down to show your wife. Those rifles have gone for as much as $300.00 plus dollars in California. I have one that I put together from a kit. It is a tack driver. Check the lock to see if it has a bridle over the tumbler. If it does, it is CVA's best lock. If it is a factory gun, it will probably have the bridle. Even if it doesn't, make an offer on the rifle and get another lock. And tell your wife the truth, you just had to have it.

There's been dozens of palavers about this rifle on this forum. A search will yeild you more information than you'll ever need about them.

IMO the price is good. I wouldn't sell my Douglas barreled 45 MR for that.

This one is pretty much NIB.

I had to take it out of the box and assemble it for these pic's.

All American made probably mid- 70's vintage.

pix1741024406-1.jpg

pix1741024265.jpg

pix1741024531.jpg

The early edition CVA mountain rifles had Made in America on them and the patch box had 4 screws..later ones had only 2 (I think)..it has been reported that the Made in America bbl's were actually Douglas overstocks..don't know if that's true, but my old Mtn Rifle is a tack driver...Hank

cptleo said:
This one is pretty much NIB.

I had to take it out of the box and assemble it for these pic's.

All American made probably mid- 70's vintage.

pix1741024406-1.jpg

pix1741024265.jpg

pix1741024531.jpg
Is the pacth box browned on yours?

Back