• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting patches at the muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I have a question about this.

I have a pedersoli Blue Ridge flinter that has the rifling come out to the very end of the barrel and I have to tap it to start the ball into the barrel.

My question is this...I want to cut the patches at the muzzle when loading (I have not tried it yet) but since the rifling is at the very end of the barrel (no cone for easy loading) it would seem to be difficult to start the ball and stop it flush with the end of the barrel so the patch can be cut, how do I do this?

Whats your thoughts?

Does your muzzle have burrs sticking out that would interfere with the cutter? Seems unlikely, but if so, carefully file the muzzle face flush and get rid of the burrs.

Second, try seating the top of the ball just below the muzzle face so your cutter doesn't knick the ball. You should be good to go from there.

BJ

Use the side of the handle of your ball starter, it should push ball just below flush and then make your cut.
You beat me to the typing R O B !

I use the flat handle of the knife I'm cutting the patch with to push the ball into the bore. Then on one gun I get out the short starter, the others I can just use the rod to puch it the rest of the way.

I have a short starter and a long starter on the same ball starter. The short starter is only 1/4" long and is coned so the bullet is just below the muzzle. Cut your patch and use the long starter and ramrod to seat.

I just smack mine down with the stub end of my short starter, then cut the patch. If the ball is slightly below the top of the barrel, it won't make a difference.

happy birthday really old bob, happppyyyy birthday toooo yoooouuuu.

..ttfn..grampa..

Latest posts

Back