• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best basic book on cleaning, loading and firing black powder rifle/shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple of old muzzle loaders, but never fired one. Where do I start?

I am very familiar with breech loaders, metallic cartridges and shot shells. Sure I run a cleaning brush and patches from the breech out the business end. But how to do this with a muzzle loader?

I am very familiar with breech loaders, metallic cartridges and shot shells. Sure I run a cleaning brush and patches from the breech out the business end. But how to do this with a muzzle loader?

Depends on the muzzleloader you are cleaning, one with a barrel easily removed, or one not so easily removed, such as one with pinned barrel.

Do a search on the forum for cleaning and you'll find enough reading material to keep you busy for days. Lots of opinions and mine is to avoid the exotic formulas and do what the old timers did, use water and a little soap if you want. Since your barrel is easy to remove stick the breach in a can or bucket of water and pump a patch up and down the barrel to flush out the fouling. Warm water is best since it helps to dry the bore. Run some dry patches in and out until they come out dry then oil the barrel. Pretty simple, just make sure it's good and dry.

One of the few manufacturers that made muzzzleloaders that included a fairly comprehensive user manuals was Thompson Center. I'm placing a link here for their Hawken rifle manual. There's a lot there that applies across the board to shooting muzzzleloaders that will be helpful. However, ignore their suggestion to clean with boiling hot water. Tap warm or even cold is fine if a handy beaver pond is all that's available.

https://thegunpsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/thompsoncenter_hawken.pdf

And, I see that this version of the manual doesn't have the instructions on how to clean it with water. Apparently because it was published after they introduced their #13 solvent (which is no longer made). And is completely unnecessary for cleaning.

Here on the Forum, there is a topic in the General Information with several threads of "Useful Information".

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tables-useful-information-thread-links.125795/
These threads are a good starting point.

With over 20,000 members on the forum, I would guess that there's about 15,000 different versions of how to clean your muzzleloader. Note: Water with a squirt of grease cutting dish soap is the best cleaner except for those that think that something that simple can't be the best cleaner. Dry out all the water. Use WD-40 or rubbing alcohol and finish with a rust inhibiting lubricant. Store the clean rifle muzzle down to allow any accumulated lubricant to run out of the breech. Two days later wipe the bore with rust inhibiting lubricant. Before going to the range, wipe the bore with rubbing alcohol to cllean out any excess lubricant.

If you just have to have a book, the 4th edition of the "Black Powder Loading Manual", available on Amazon and a few other sources is a good book. Yes, the book is 20 years old and doesn't cover the latest in powders. The latest information is what the Forum is best for.

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Digest-B...prefix=blackk+powder+loading+,aps,1481&sr=8-5

Last edited:
If you just have to have a book, the 4th edition of the "Black Powder Loading Manual", available on Amazon and a few other sources is a good book. Yes, the book is 20 years old and doesn't cover the latest in powders. The latest information is what the Forum is best for.
The newest version is more about conicals and smokeless powder (BP substitutes) and not so much about round balls. The 4th edition is closer to 50 years old,1975, before all the modern abominations were conceived,

Knew I seen that somewhere, never had one but there is more than likely a bunch of information in there for the new shooters.

Somewhere in this forum you will find answers to questions that when we start shoot the different types of muzzleloaders we don't know to ask. For example "the dry ball" is something that happens at the worst time. Pushing brushes down barrel to find that when you pull the rod the brush is still in the bore etc. What ever problems you have there will be many solutions. Welcome thumb through pages of the many volumes of wisdom you will find here. Bless You Sir

Good advice given, don't forget to clean the lock. I use warm tap water and dry, then use the air compreser to blow any water still in the lock then oil.

Good advice given, don't forget to clean the lock. I use warm tap water and dry, then use the air compreser to blow any water still in the lock then oil.

Just the thing for most American with a handy air compressor. I suspect that, like me, most people over this side of the water either don't have one, or are shy about taking the barrel to a handy garage to use the 50p 'free air' machine.

Just the thing for most American with a handy air compressor. I suspect that, like me, most people over this side of the water either don't have one, or are shy about taking the barrel to a handy garage to use the 50p 'free air' machine.
Ya compressors are handy, got two a big one with a long hose that can cover anything in the garage, and a small one that can go in the back of the pickup or the trunk on the car. We have five cars and trucks a tractor, two lawnmowers and a bunch of other things with tires, so compressors are needed.

Latest posts

Back