• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cushion Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently use a lubed 1/4 inch felt as a cushion wad. No holes in the pattern and nice even pattern out to 20 + yards where most of my shots are taken. 12 gauge cylinder chokes.
Do you use a separate over powder wad?

What is the consensus on cushion wads? Are they a help or hindrance to good patterns? Are there alternatives? Thanks
As so much with muzzle loading, experimentation is the only way to find the definitive answer to your question, about your particular fowling piece. I can tell you what works in the two I have.

• Caywood Wilson Chief's Gun, 20 ga., 41½" barrel: Powder: 2¼ dr. 2fg, card wad, fiber wad, 7/8 oz #7 shot, thin over shot wad.
  • Track of the Wolf Fusil de Chasse, 20 ga., 44" barrel: Powder 2¼ dr. 2fg, leather wad, 7/8 oz. #7 shot, wadded up paper over shot.

With the 12 ga. original cylinder bored guns I used 1/2 a standard cushion wad. The 12 ga. load is 2 3/4 drams of 777, a Mike's over powder wad (Mike's wads are from Friendship. He is at flintlocks. com) 1/2 a cushion wad, 1 and 1/8th ounces of shot and an over shot wad. The guns pattern well with the load.

Some have been trying corn meal out of an ounce and one 8th dipper for the wad. They say they have been getting good results.

With the 12 ga. original cylinder bored guns I used 1/2 a standard cushion wad. The 12 ga. load is 2 3/4 drams of 777, a Mike's over powder wad (Mike's wads are from Friendship. He is at flintlocks. com) 1/2 a cushion wad, 1 and 1/8th ounces of shot and an over shot wad. The guns pattern well with the load.

Some have been trying corn meal out of an ounce and one 8th dipper for the wad. They say they have been getting good results.
I use sawdust between two cards I punch out. I use the same dipper for powder, sawdust, and shot. Another punched card on top. I started by using a card and sawdust for balls loaded in brass shells, and carried it over to MLs. Works well enough that I haven't experimented with other arrangements. It is perhaps a little more cumbersome to measure the sawdust, but I doubt I'd save a lot of time using felt or fiber wads. I don't have to start a filler wad in the muzzle, I just pour it in. I like to pour in the powder, then assemble all of the wads and shot near the muzzle, then ram it all down together.

With the paper cartridges in my 12ga, I've been using the extra cartridge paper between the over powder wad and the portion of the cartridge that holds the shot.

What is the consensus on cushion wads? Are they a help or hindrance to good patterns? Are there alternatives? Thanks
The problem with answering Walkabout's question is that the answer of whether cushion wads are a help or hinderance can be yes, cushion wads help with the pattern and yes, cushion wads can blow donut holes in the patterns.

With a well-balanced load of powder, lightly lubricated cushion wad and shot, an even pattern can be achieved.

With too much powder, too tightly sealed cards, heavily lubricated cushion wads between the powder and shot, the dreaded donut hole patterns can be created. Good results have been documented with the Skychief load where after a basic load of reasonable powder charge, over powder or over shot card, shot, over shot card and heavily lubricated cushion wad, good patterns can be obtained.

Alternatives are available in the materials used for a cushion wad. Well granulated materials that are basically light in weight work well. These are the balls of tow fibers, meal (corn, cream of wheat or rice, grits, oatmeal, sawdust or cotton balls sandwiched between over shot cards perform well to maintain an even pattern. Load development is still needed to determine the specific quantities of powder, wad material, cards, and shot that will produce the desired pattern. The suggested alternative loadings using cushion wads will be close or maybe even the best for a particular smooth bored gun. Still the trip to the pattern board is needed to verify the resulting pattern and whether that load with that particular cushion wad help with creating an even pattern or results in one with the hole in the center.

The problem with answering Walkabout's question is that the answer of whether cushion wads are a help or hinderance can be yes, cushion wads help with the pattern and yes, cushion wads can blow donut holes in the patterns.

With a well-balanced load of powder, lightly lubricated cushion wad and shot, an even pattern can be achieved.

With too much powder, too tightly sealed cards, heavily lubricated cushion wads between the powder and shot, the dreaded donut hole patterns can be created. Good results have been documented with the Skychief load where after a basic load of reasonable powder charge, over powder or over shot card, shot, over shot card and heavily lubricated cushion wad, good patterns can be obtained.

Alternatives are available in the materials used for a cushion wad. Well granulated materials that are basically light in weight work well. These are the balls of tow fibers, meal (corn, cream of wheat or rice, grits, oatmeal, sawdust or cotton balls sandwiched between over shot cards perform well to maintain an even pattern. Load development is still needed to determine the specific quantities of powder, wad material, cards, and shot that will produce the desired pattern. The suggested alternative loadings using cushion wads will be close or maybe even the best for a particular smooth bored gun. Still the trip to the pattern board is needed to verify the resulting pattern and whether that load with that particular cushion wad help with creating an even pattern or results in one with the hole in the center.
I wonder if ground coffee would work. It would smell good, if nothing else.

The problem with answering Walkabout's question is that the answer of whether cushion wads are a help or hinderance can be yes, cushion wads help with the pattern and yes, cushion wads can blow donut holes in the patterns
True. As I said in my initial response, a lot depends on how you use them.

The impetus behind my comment,
Apparently a couple people missed the the actual original question,,,,,

I didn't see where the o.p. asked what anyone used for wads or fillers or anything else.
Was that we then proceeded to get replies that don't even mention cushion wads or anything about them either way.
We get answers that seem to be to a different question...... "What else can be used for wads and fillers/shot buffers?"

Yes, the o.p. asks about alternatives, but why only address that and not why one might want alternatives?

Latest posts

Back