• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cushion wad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guessing this question has been addressed before but I have missed it. Has always caused a question in my mind as to the need of a cushion wad at all.

Guess I need to spend a bit of time at the range to figure out some of this stuff first hand ... but for now if you could ... please explain (again) your reasoning behind the science of a cushion wad in the muzzleloading shotgun.

Thank you for your answers in advance. Also the history if you would of cushion wads.
I can't recall who but on YouTube somewhere there is a video of a guy who experimented with the Blunderbuss, the whole experiment was to see what Wadding does to the shot pattern.

He broke in down into three parts:
1) No wad at all.
2) loose grass/weeds he just pulled from the ground on the range.
3) *I forget exactly but some form of dense tow or maybe a felt cushion wad.

His results:
1) No wad the pattern was very wide, some pellets did not even hit the target.
2) Loose grass/weed wad was FAR better, all pellets accounted for on targer.
3) The tight/dense wad was a nice tight pattern on target.

Now I know there are those on here that are going to blow their to: "Where is your Source?", "You can't come on here and spew hearsay without proof!", etc (those I speak to did the same when I quoted another with a link...oddly a few weeks later someone posted with the link to what I spoke of and everyone was somewhat civil).

So, go scour YouTube and you should find it as I once did, or go test the theory yourself.

I shot skeet with an 11 bore blunderbuss once. I could hit low house on station 1 but that was it. It had a 16" barrel that was flared inside and out. effective range was maybe 10 ft off the muzzle with shot.

Back