• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Current percussion cap source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they first started offering the 22 reloader kit if I’m not mistaken it was geared towards the survivalist. Who would otherwise reload 22. The no 10 and 11 cap mandrel came second and yes they are very sensitive to the chemical cracking especially with the hard aluminum cans. Again with the survivalist in mind; you can find cans almost anywhere. I never got around to it but did look it up mcmaster sells soft copper thinking they’d be less sensitive to cracking and a softer crimped primer. They get you shooting i don’t think it’s intent is to mimic factory primers. If you’re not happy with them send it back. I think they are worth the $40. They are not my go to primers but I guess could be if I had nothing else.
I make mine out of .005 brass stock I get on eBay. They are reusable if you place them on a different orientation where the hammer pin doesn’t strike the same area or put them back in the punch die.
A74CA33E-1C01-4455-9161-1A240E566B32.jpeg

For greater safety I mix up the powders with water. The mix is put into the cups while still wet.After a short while I press the prime flat in the cups and then allowed to dry.A binder is dropped in the cups . A pipe cleaner makes a good dipstick ,no cleaning needed. The water does not reduce the power in the least. In fact my caps made this way are the most powerful I have made. I use double layer pop cans and copper and brass.All have worked.I like the brass for good looks.

For greater safety I mix up the powders with water. The mix is put into the cups while still wet.After a short while I press the prime flat in the cups and then allowed to dry.A binder is dropped in the cups . A pipe cleaner makes a good dipstick ,no cleaning needed. The water does not reduce the power in the least. In fact my caps made this way are the most powerful I have made. I use double layer pop cans and copper and brass.All have worked.I like the brass for good looks.
Yep, I mix mine wet as well. When using German paper roll caps, I place them in water and peel the red paper back, I scrape the powder with an exacto knife and mix with a 1/10 ratio of aluminum powder. Then seal it. It produces a much bigger flame.

That way of lifting the dots off the paper the only way I will use the role caps. All power and no paper. I have used as many as 15 dots for good power.Now I only use the role caps for revolvers.Six in a cup. Are you still using brass sheets? how many can you get from a sheet?Still pounding them out one at a time?

That way of lifting the dots off the paper the only way I will use the role caps. All power and no paper. I have used as many as 15 dots for good power.Now I only use the role caps for revolvers.Six in a cup. Are you still using brass sheets? how many can you get from a sheet?Still pounding them out one at a time?
I get 10 sheets to a pack and if punched out long ways to get 8 rows across the short side you can get 160 caps per sheet. I only use them for revolvers. I like using roll paper versus the priming compound due to that orange residue getting all over everything. But yeah I do them one at a time. It’s no big deal for me.

I nave been waiting for 3 weeks for a response from 22 reloader about my order.
5ddefense has the same dies and prime all and shipped next day.
I would definitely go with them again over the other guy.
Other than one falling off 100% out of around a 100 soda can caps went boom and ignited pyrodex both loose and pelletized with zero issue.

Yeah I just ordered black powder from them . They have the rws for 75 bucks for 250 caps. I was thinking if doing that. But sounds pretty expensive. I order the tap a cap with 3 extra all prime packs and see how those work.
I use that system all the time. If ya have any issues holler at me.

I nave been waiting for 3 weeks for a response from 22 reloader about my order.
5ddefense has the same dies and prime all and shipped next day.
I would definitely go with them again over the other guy.
Other than one falling off 100% out of around a 100 soda can caps went boom and ignited pyrodex both loose and pelletized with zero issue.
How to reach 5ddfense?

People speaking about 22lrreloader - I'd avoid like the plague. Guy charged me and lied repeatedly about shipping the items - after over a month, nothing received. Lots of people complaining about the same issue: https://www.bbb.org/us/co/montrose/...ing/sharpshooter-llc-0806-99160496/complaints
Ordered mine about a month ago, took only 4-5 days and I had mine no issue? Think I will get some spare prime packages, will wait to see about 5ddfense though and check price etc.

Does anybody happen to have a current online percussion cap source? I have had great success with the cci magnums but can't find any in stock. And when I do I Google review the site and seems I come across a lot of scam sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I've heard you can use the Ramshot 22 blanks, cut down with tin snips. I picked some up at Home Depot. Haven't tried them yet. For rifle use I assume?

Weird, I ordered from 22lr reloader with no problems
Same here! Maybe there’s a health issue or other hampering things on there end. I’ve ordered from them when all they had was the 22 reloading mix then a few years later when they released the cap makers. The bbb is the same complaint. Probably a one man show id cut him some slack though i don’t think it’s purposeful. Some places small ones don’t do very good customer service. He should probably note that. I know the no reply stuff is frustrating. Hang in

If you have or know someone with a 3d printer you can print your own die and just order the compound. That’s what I did but I don’t like the residue the compound leaves behind after firing them.

Does anybody happen to have a current online percussion cap source? I have had great success with the cci magnums but can't find any in stock. And when I do I Google review the site and seems I come across a lot of scam sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Try Scheels Sports. I just picked up 3 tins of #11 caps for $10.00 each.

Back