• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Current percussion cap source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody happen to have a current online percussion cap source? I have had great success with the cci magnums but can't find any in stock. And when I do I Google review the site and seems I come across a lot of scam sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I recommend making your own if you shoot a lot. I make them with a tool from 22sharpshooter.com and primer powder or roll caps. It’s fun to do and cheap. Lots of videos on how to do them. I use .005 brass over aluminum cans and can reuse them.

I don’t know why so expensive? I bought my tool and dye from 22 sharpshooter for $49.95 and primer compound for $19.95. I add 1/10 ratio of aluminum powder and it shoots a flame 6 inches long. I do the same with about 6-8 German roll caps sealed with ducco cement and acetone and it doesn’t leave that orange residue like the primer compound.

I found some #11s at my local(ish) shop yesterday. They had a full case. Not cheap but I picked up 200 so I have em when I need them.

Does anybody happen to have a current online percussion cap source? I have had great success with the cci magnums but can't find any in stock. And when I do I Google review the site and seems I come across a lot of scam sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I bought 1000 RWS 1075 caps from Travelers Antiques in TX. Amazing prices and service.

For those of you making caps with the 22 RL kit, how are you keeping the powder from crumbling & falling out of the cap while they're being carried around in a tin? A drop of acetone wasn't hardening it enough to keep it contained in the cap.

I tried a mix of about 50/50 acetone/clear nail polish. They still go bang when I hit them with a hammer/anvil. But not when they're on a nipple -- missed that duck...

Other ideas?

No sir. They are round just like store bought.
For those of you making caps with the 22 RL kit, how are you keeping the powder from crumbling & falling out of the cap while they're being carried around in a tin? A drop of acetone wasn't hardening it enough to keep it contained in the cap.

I tried a mix of about 50/50 acetone/clear nail polish. They still go bang when I hit them with a hammer/anvil. But not when they're on a nipple -- missed that duck...

Other ideas?
They need to be snug right on top of the nipple. As much as this compound is very impact sensitive, it isn't as sensitive as fulminate or other commercial mixes. Getting enough in the cap is just as important as it's fit. Acetone should do the trick to firming up the mix. If the jostling of the caps is loosening the mix, massive a piece of foam in your tin to hold everything still would help.

Attachments

• 20211231_153934.jpg
    20211231_153934.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 48

Other ideas?
I have never tried it, but Sodium Silicate (Waterglass) should not only bind the priming compound, but seal it in place giving some protection against moisture. I've read that Sodium Silicate was used in some of the original percussion caps and early cartridge primers as a sealant and binder. Many of the pyro folks still use it in fireworks wherever a glue or sealant is needed. If I purchase one of the cap punches, I plan on using Sodium Silicate just to see how well it works.

I have never tried it, but Sodium Silicate (Waterglass) should not only bind the priming compound, but seal it in place giving some protection against moisture. I've read that Sodium Silicate was used in some of the original percussion caps and early cartridge primers as a sealant and binder. Many of the pyro folks still use it in fireworks wherever a glue or sealant is needed. If I purchase one of the cap punches, I plan on using Sodium Silicate just to see how well it works.
It comes with the priming mix. I've bought more with the other chemicals. Must make sure it is a powder form, or get a mortar and pestle of at least 8 ounce capacity and very highly polished(marble is the best), to grind the material. Some glass is in pellet form and is not usable here.

It comes with the priming mix. I've bought more with the other chemicals. Must make sure it is a powder form, or get a mortar and pestle of at least 8 ounce capacity and very highly polished(marble is the best), to grind the material. Some glass is in pellet form and is not usable here.
You can buy it in liquid form in quantities as small as 4oz. to gallon jugs. Building centers such as Lowes and Home Depot, as well as Tractor Supply sell it by the gallon or five gallon containers for use in sealing concrete floors. Rutland is one of the brands.

You can buy it in liquid form in quantities as small as 4oz. to gallon jugs. Building centers such as Lowes and Home Depot, as well as Tractor Supply sell it by the gallon or five gallon containers for use in sealing concrete floors. Rutland is one of the brands.
Don't think we're talking the same thing.

I made my first caps yesterday with the 22 Reloader kit, this afternoon I tested 6. All went bang. I’m a happy camper. I will use the homemade for informal target shooting. I’ll keep the store bought caps for everything else.

Don't think we're talking the same thing.
Sodium Silicate is Sodium Silicate, AKA "Waterglass". The liquid that Rutland makes is 100% Sodium Silicate, granted, a gallon is more than one needs, but it is also available by Lynn Manufacturing, Inc. in a 4 ounce container for less than $4. Since the liquid form is water based, just use distilled water to thin the solution if needed.

Difficult to believe caps are in shortage
EF4C9104-82C1-48F3-A25C-A66BD23B4611.jpeg
For muzzleloaders. Odd times indeed. That cap maker sure is neat, I may try that.
Luckily I have a small supply that should keep me for a little while… or I’ll Use the Electra with its 9 volt rechargeable. I know, yet it’s my bad weather rain Gun.

If you need a neat way to keep caps stable… get a block of wood like a pack of cigarettes- then a small drill bit and go about a 1/8th inch in. Do this 40 times in 4 Seperate rows of ten each. Get 4 thick rubber bands, and you have a nice container for your caps. Slip into a little leather pouch. I did something similar to a speedloader set up.

Last edited:
I've never run out. Pack a lunch and go visit all the mom-and-pop bait shop/gun shops you find. Most that answer the phone don't realize what they have over in that black powder area of the store.
And I'm still getting them for $5 a tin.
Yep...done just this last spring. 5.00 per tin.
Bought 2 cases of caps from a pawn shop in small-town about 40 miles from home.

I have the 22 RL kit. Their stuff works pretty well, though I’m going to have to try some of the above ideas for keeping the powder in the cup.

In the meantime, I like having back up plans. So I mixed up a trial composition from some raw ingredients of my own. I didn’t really measure as I’m just playing around using tiny little batches. I placed the mix in one of the 22RL cups and smacked in on the anvil. Looks like I’m on the right track. Need to put that on the rifle next & see how it goes 0DC45486-C726-45DA-9D28-D9C206925A66.png

Back