• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Current percussion cap source

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5000 musket caps at Graff's went from $389 to $460. WHY?

Plus tax, shipping and hazmat.
Outdoor Limited 1,000 caps for 130 bucks is 13 cent each.

Graf's 5,000 caps for 400 bucks is 8 cent each. A very good price right now. Tax is a wash cuzz it always gets figured into every purchase. Many times shipping is free at Graf's with enough money spent.

Graf's hazmat is 23 bucks I think. Free until the 19th/Tomorrow.

Outdoor Limited hazmat I believe is 40 bucks. At least it was when I looked at some Winchester Large Rifle primers. I just looked. $39.62 is hazmat shipping.

40 bucks for hazmat gives me heartburn when everyone else charges half as much. It's great that they have hard to find items in stock. But they shouldn't harm their buyers in the process.

.025 with inflation added.

received my 1000 caps today that I ordered Monday. Thanks to BBGun for the above post as well as rmefbowhunter and keyhole for their endorsement of Outdoor Limited . I’d never heard of them. website says they only have 12 left if anyone else is interested.
Thanks, I'm glad I could help out.

Bass Pro has Remingtons in stock as of this posting. I ordered 10 tins a couple of days ago. No shipping or hazmat since they will be sent to the Bass Pro about 30 minutes away from me. The only other BP shop that has caps wants $22 a tin so $13.99 looks a tad better in price. Let’s see if Academy and Walmart will have any in the near future as speculated.

Bass Pro has Remingtons in stock as of this posting. I ordered 10 tins a couple of days ago. No shipping or hazmat since they will be sent to the Bass Pro about 30 minutes away from me. The only other BP shop that has caps wants $22 a tin so $13.99 looks a tad better in price. Let’s see if Academy and Walmart will have any in the near future as speculated.
Thank You - just ordered from Bass Pro. To the store. Perfect!!!!!!!

IMG_20230619_105413_9.jpg

Went with root beer flavored caps for tomorrow's session.
😉

Alex You are spacing the punching too far apart. At that rate you will get only 27 out of your double can. Space them closer and get 48 to 51 per doubled up can. That's what I usually get.
I go any closer and they get uneven tops leading to being rejected.
I grabbed another die to see if it's a gap issue.

I go any closer and they get uneven tops leading to being rejected.
I grabbed another die to see if it's a gap issue.
Yes if you punch the discs too close they get goofy. Try about less than 1/4” separation. I also tried doubling the aluminum thickness that makes a sturdier cap.

Last edited:
The punch can be expanded to make a real close fit to the die. On mine I had .005 gap and that's way too much. I placed a steel ball into the end of the punch and gently taped it to expand the teeth. I can punch out with nearly no gap between the punchings. It's now easy to get 16 punch outs in a line of the pop can. If I am close I can get 17. Three rows of 17 makes 51 cups per can. I just couldn't live with the sloppy fit and mangled metal.

Just before all this manure started I told my local dealer to get me a carton of cci #11 caps. He looked at me like I had 3 heads!
But now I'm sitting pretty with plenty of caps and powder. I have about 150 lbs of lead and several molds so I'm good for as long as I'm alive!

Outdoor Limited 1,000 caps for 130 bucks is 13 cent each.

Graf's 5,000 caps for 400 bucks is 8 cent each. A very good price right now. Tax is a wash cuzz it always gets figured into every purchase. Many times shipping is free at Graf's with enough money spent.

Graf's hazmat is 23 bucks I think. Free until the 19th/Tomorrow.

Outdoor Limited hazmat I believe is 40 bucks. At least it was when I looked at some Winchester Large Rifle primers. I just looked. $39.62 is hazmat shipping.

40 bucks for hazmat gives me heartburn when everyone else charges half as much. It's great that they have hard to find items in stock. But they shouldn't harm their buyers in the process.

.025 with inflation added.
Free hazmat over $150 extended until the 29th.

Latest posts

Back