• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor quality #11 caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've noticed CCI caps coming into the marketplace. I've bought a few tins to keep stocked up.

I have heard the quality control on these caps is bad.
Any thoughts?

It’s not too hard to find someone that will say that every company has poor quality control. In most cases there’s at least some operator error involved. All it takes is a cap or primer not fully seated.
Or a weak main spring.
It’s not too hard to find someone that will say that every company has poor quality control. In most cases there’s at least some operator error involved. All it takes is a cap or primer not fully seated.

Or a weak main spring

Why post negative on a product with no actual experience?
From The Actual Experience News Desk: Why stand up for Crappy Caps Incorporated when they make the worst primers on the planet?

My muzzleloaders are properly set up and meticulously maintained. And CCI caps have failed to detonate time and time and time again.

There's a valid reason why the entire country is talking about how bad CCI percussion caps have gotten. Because the tales are 100% true.

I'll never buy another tin of CCI caps. But I will buy TOTW musket nipples and Schutzen musket caps. They work EVERY time.

Last edited:
Ethans caps are not recent CCI manufacture. They are 5-10 years old.: They are stamped 100-310. New manufacture #11 CCI caps have 100-311.

IMO: Ethans caps have been wet.

Several years ago i gave some CCI #11 caps to a local shooter and hunter. A year or two later the guy claimed those caps were no good. No good was right; the guy stored his caps, bullets and powder in a bucket in the garage beside an open window: Everything was ruined.

Attachments

• DSC02718.JPG
    DSC02718.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I bought several tins of the 311s.

Not only were they as brown as the ones in the video, several in a row failed to detonate.

Mr. Ethan was being generous with his 10% failure rate. It's actually much greater.

I don't know why you guys insist on going to bat for a product that is very clearly sub-par.

Sub par, my @$$. Sorry you can't make CCI caps work. Try maintaining your gun.
My muzzleloaders are as clean and mechanically sound as the day they were made.

All of them.

The unmens too.

Are you and others saying ALL of these cap failures, nationally, are due to EVERYONE not maintaining their firearms?

Or are politics coming into play here?

Thanks for the replies folks. Due to my job I don't have a typical 9to5 weekends off job. My time off is late November till January. I didn't want to buy a bunch of caps just to find out there was a quality control issue. And then late November caps were not to be found. It seemed prudent to ask.

ALL of these cap failures, nationally, are due to EVERYONE not maintaining their firearms?

But most misfires are the result of neglect and improper cleaning/preparation for firing.

Why do you badmouth and cauterwaul every time the subject of CCI caps come up. Most muzzleloader folks are aware your claims are false.

Simply don't buy the things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back