• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curious about Goex can

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray-Vigo

Yankee
Reaction score
Just a bit of passing curiosity- when did Goex go to the plastic can for its powder? The last batch I bought (recently) had a motor-oil style plastic bottle with break-free type cap and ring. Not complaining- frankly doesn't bother me much, but just curious is all.

The last Goex that bought was in 2010. I bought it at Friendship and it came in metal cans at that time. So, they have made the change to plastic since then. Guess I'd better start saving my cans, they may become collectors items.

Our club just got a shipment of 3f and 2f. The 3f is still in the metal can and the 2f was in the plastic. So I assume they are transitioning to the plastic.

Stone Knife said:
necchi said:
Why on earth would you do that?
Probably cheaper

Bulk powder used to be cheaper. I don't know about now. Transfer it to cans. I bought a keg of DuPont couple of years ago and repacked into cans. When I was reenacting we used to sell used cans to a BP gunshop in PA for 10 cents apiece so he could repackage his bulk powder for sale. Then our unit started buying bulk and had to stop selling them and using them for ourselves.

Very interesting! Not too long ago, there was some talk about not using plastic bodied powder dispensers for black powder as supposedly static electricity could ignite the powder in the hopper. Lyman even came out with an aluminum bodied measure for BPCR shooters. I would think the powder manufacturer just canned that idea. Possibly different types of plastic?

bull3540 said:
I like the metal cans

Can't argue with that, :grin:

ramrod43 said:
Possibly different types of plastic?

Yup.
The Plastic hoppers on loading bench powder measures are a different plastic than the current plastic jugs used for powders.
We've been getting Nitro-powders in round plastic like the Faux BP for along time now.
The new shaped plastic for true BP is just that,
"a new shape" that will fit in all the lockers and magazines made for the BP tins.

There is no more chance of static issues with a plastic jug than tin,,

There is nothing wrong with olde reliable tin, but I'd put my money on "improperly stored" plastic than tin any day.
Properly stored, everything is fine for decades, but I have seen rusty tin cans.
I have not seen rusty plastic cans, PLUS the lid on a plastic can is molded for a better seal with the jug neck and there is no need for a paper seal.

I have a can of Dupont 4f Gunpowder with a paper label that has to be 40 years old and it doesn't have any rust on it whatsoever. In fact, it doesn't have any idiot warnings on it either. I guess back then everyone expected anything labled as "gunpowder" to be extremely flammible and if you played around with it then you got what you deserved. Anyway, I kinda like the hip-flask shape of the Dupont can over the Goex design despite the tiny screw top.

You stored your powder properly, :hatsoff:
Respectfully,
Hat's off to doing thing's right, honest.

Not everyone does, especially here in the north where temp swings and humidity changes are rampant.
Stuff stored in an out building can quickly show signs of the neglect.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the tin cans we've gotten for decades at all,,

But at the same time the worry some have over the new "plastic" bottles is un-founded. It's usually just a dislike of change.

Speaking of which, I put my change in a jug.
An empty clean 64oz Apple Juice jug (plastic) :wink:

Is the screw top on the plastic cans the same size as on the metal cans? I mean, will the pour spouts made for the metal cans fit on the plastic cans? :idunno:

Oh, I'm not worried about the plastic causing a spark or anything like that. I've reloaded enough rounds during my CAS days with powder contained in a plastic bottle to know better but I think that metal is easier to recycle and prefer it over plastic when it comes to storing gun powder.

No, they are larger. I had to make a new pour spout for the plastic lid. Will post a photo in a day or so.

Back