• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
How many of you use Crisco as a patch lube? How many shots can you shoot w/out swabbing and what is you charge? I am thinking about trying it. How well doese it do in cold weather?

I am a Crisco convert and believe in it without reservation. In terms of it getting into the main charge; if this is a concern for you just put in a small roll of Paper Wasps nest between the PRB and the main charge. You will not have this concern when target shooting. But, I guess I can see that this would be an issue if you are hunting and the ball sits on the powder charge for a day or two. Frankly, I do not use Wasps nest for a bunch of reasons. I hear many good things about it though.

Yikes - one more thing, I was at the range yesterday and only had to swab out the bore one time in 23 shots.

Used it for years. Used to be the "standard" patch lube. It stiffens up a bit in cold weather, but the real drawback is hot weather. Almost have to put it in a bottle, since it will run right out of an altoids tin. It did the job in keeping fouling soft. As far as contamination of the powder charge goes, it was in my opinion no better or worse than any other lubes. Homemade felt wads cut from weather stripping with a piece of appropriate sized sharpend copper tubing make powder contamination a moot point. I still use it on occassion, but prefer a more universal, all weather patch lube like Moose Snot or WonderLube.

Sharp Shooter said:
How many of you use Crisco as a patch lube? How many shots can you shoot w/out swabbing and what is you charge? I am thinking about trying it. How well doese it do in cold weather?

Crisco is all that I've ever used. However, I have not hunted below 5 degrees Fahrenheit. I normally swab every shot at the range and have not tried to see how many shots I could get without swabbing.

I shoot:

45 cal. Cabela's Pedersoli Blue Ridge
.445 Speer round ball
.010 ticking from Dixie Gun Works
50 gr. fffg for deer hunting
ffffg prime

I tried it when I first started, along with spit, and just about anything else that was going around. I never liked it a bit. I have made up a batch of Moose Snot to try. I guess I still am trying anything that is around. LOL

If you try it, make sure it's the regular old Crisco, not butter flavor or some other type. Check that it has no salt in it.

I use it and I like it. It actually groups a little better than other lubes in my rifle as well. I have to swab every shot on my rifle to get good accuracy so I have no idea how many shots someone could take before a ball could not be loaded. I use a wasp nest wad when loaded for hunting (also improves my groups just a little bit) so powder contamination is not an issue. If it's colder than 0 out I am not hunting anyway so yes it works well in the cold. I pre-cut and lube my patches and keep them in a small tin.

I use Crisco for my hunting load with wax paper between ball and powder. Don't know if the wax paper is really needed, just makes me feel more confident that the powders good after a couple days. :winking:

I use crisco. this year i left it loaded overnight and had no delay firing. I don't know about how many shots , I swab at the range after 3 or 4.

Sharp Shooter said:

Starting using Crisco in 1969. You do know that the stuff will go rancid if you leave it sit too long? Found that out the hard way. Also tried some Bore Butter, but it wouldn't work in 11º weather. Good for hammering nails at that temp and not much else.

Made up a batch of Stumpy's Moose Snot. Haven't used anything else since. Nothing wrong with Crisco, just that Moose Snot is better.

Do yourself a favor, use the forum search feature for Stumpy's Moose Snot. Mix up a batch and you won't use Crisco anymore either. Works in cold, works in heat. Won't run out of an Altoids tin. No need to swab in between loads, just keep on patchin' and shootin'. Great stuff!

Happy New Year!
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

A lot of folks use Crisco without a problem. Most of my BP shooting friends do. I find it, well, greasy. When I'm not using the Ballistol dry lubing system, I use Hoppe's #9 black powder lube/solvent as patch lube. It keeps fouling down really well and it doesn't get all over your hand and make a greasy mess of everything you touch.

Back