• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy bidding on Gunbroker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^--- Exercising one's legal rights will not make anyone look bad in court. Keep your mouth shut. You are not obligated to answer any questions. You are not going to "talk your way out" of anything if the police officer suspects you committed a crime. Anything you (foolishly and unnecessarily) say WILL be used against you in court.

A Uberti/Taylors 1858 just sold for $681 on Gunbroker. Dixie has them in stock for $370. Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing stupidity.....Back when you could sell guns on eBay, I sold a lot to New York for way more money than they were worth. I just chalked it up to in inability to get them locally.

There is NO such thing as a “ traveling warrant” . Either the officer sees something,drugs or a weapon, then they can search for more drugs, or secure the weapon for safety. They have to SEE it first. A warrant has to be specific. If not, it gets thrown out of court.

Asset forfeiture was the WORST thing to ever come out in the “war on drugs”.too many local officers were caught running perpetual yard sales selling confiscated things. The sheriff one county over was arrested with over 200 guns, 30 ATVs, cars, tractors and what have you. Selling them and keeping the cash. Back in 1993, if I remember correctly.

Asset forfeiture was the WORST thing to ever come out in the “war on drugs”.too many local officers were caught running perpetual yard sales selling confiscated things. The sheriff one county over was arrested with over 200 guns, 30 ATVs, cars, tractors and what have you. Selling them and keeping the cash. Back in 1993, if I remember correctly.

Amen. Get way out in East Texas or Louisiana and they will pull you over and search your car for cash to seize, especially if you have out of State tags. Who carries $1000 and drives across State lines for legitimate purposes, right?

Last edited:
well in the morning shooting the Smith carbine will be tried and how much depends on how well these new cases and bullets work.
No problems for me on powder, caps, or bullets. I stocked up a long time ago I think the Marines would say Simper Fi I got mine. I really does not other me to shoot up a bunch of powder and caps or the unmentionable components either.
This Smith is a new learning curve for me and I am not sure what if any will carry forward from the Sharps.
Any Smith carbine shooters I would like to hear from you.
Hold center
Bunk
I did get the brass cases for it. I put a flat piece of metal over the base of the opening where the die would show under the bottom area where it screws into my single stage press to seat the bullet. It does make for a weak powder charge but that might be a good idea for that style carbine.
I detest cleaning the area behind the chamber. And haven't yet figured out how to hold the gun or have something hold the gun when trying to clean the bore and the frame. I haven't really checked, does the barrel come off of the frame? I think I looked when I 1st got it and decided it doesn't. I almost wish I had never purchased it.

Natchez Shooters Supply had a similar 1858 New Model Army Remington by Pieta or Uberti for $999.00. My stainless steel target sight by Uberti was $300.00 + when I got it. You say they aren't out of stock and can find them if you look but what prices are they asking? Someone told me the quality of Uberti recently has gone down but Pieta is going up. That .451 Lee mold should be about $30.00, not a hundred. Hoping to wait out the insanity and that prices may return to pre pandemic levels.

When the gun control schemes are all dropped as unconstitutional, there will be a glut on the market of everything gun related...

When the gun control schemes are all dropped as unconstitutional, there will be a glut on the market of everything gun related...

Right. ;)
!cid_88DDB92AEE2F40D88D2CED72492F32A5@Userpc.jpg

Recently I picked up several 1858 Remington's for $339 each, shipping was a fixed $15 for all. Many are panic buying, just like they do before a storm at the grocery store.
Panic buying, yes. On the other hand there is reasonable expectation that democrats will continue to assault the second amendment, and that firearms related issues will continue to be inimical to firearms owners. Most of us can see this trend continuing to the eventual ruination of the second amendment.

When I look at the current pricing, I'm sure glad I purchased most of my black powder/muzzle loading guns and accoutrements years ago.
As a collector, I've noticed stuff is selling at auctions for considerably more today versus 2-3 years ago. Before the Internet age, you would attend a gun auction and bid against mostly locals and a hand full of out of town people. But the Internet now offers bids world wide.
It's amazing to watch what stuff on Gunbroker sells for. Especially a nice item that starts off at one-cent with no reserve. The seller must know it will start a bidding frenzy. Of course there is a risk of doing this with no reserve, but the seller probably has seen a track record from previous sales showing the risk is worth it.

Rick

I had a former pal call me up wanting to know if I still had any of the guns his wife wanted to get rid of about 10 years ago; I had helped them dispose of several guns her dad had. They dropped me as a friend, but when this SHTF, low and behold he calls me, says wifey wants one of them back for nostalgia purposes. Well, they live in an inner city high crime area, so of course I said I had none to "return" and I've not heard from them since. All of a sudden they think it's a good idea to have a
piece in the house! (Having a piece will help keep the peace, as they say...)
I’ve had several do the same thing. Haven’t heard from them in years and after saying NO, haven’t heard from since.

Sometimes bidders just don't seem to have any sense. I put a scope on Gun Broker starting at $250. A guy bid $250 on it and the next guy bid $281. He could have bid $251 but I didn't bother to tell him that and just took his money.

Hey Crisco, in that scenario someone had to bid $280 for the winner to get it for $281. The next bidder, even if bidding his Max is at say $100 over the current price will only have his bid laid at $1 over the current high bid. Often when I see something that the bidding is at $200 and I know I would pay $300 for it I just put the $300 bid in and walk away. My bid will be placed by the system at $201 and it has to eventually be bid up in increments by someone else until it gets to $301 to beat me. When I see a new penny start I’ll place my Max bid in and if I get notification I won then great, if someone wants it more than me then they get it. On gunbroker, as most action sites, your high bid, is just your Max bid, not like a live bid where if you call out a number it’ll bump to that.

Wow! Now I'm really confused! I thought that since I only had two bids on the item that the winner had left a lot of cash on the table instead of getting the scope for $251 if the first bidder didn't up it. There is a lot about Gun Broker that I don't understand. By the way, I like your YouTube videos.

Wow! Now I'm really confused! I thought that since I only had two bids on the item that the winner had left a lot of cash on the table instead of getting the scope for $251 if the first bidder didn't up it. There is a lot about Gun Broker that I don't understand. By the way, I like your YouTube videos.
The first bidder probably bid $280 as a max bid, but since the auction started at $250 his max bid wasn't applied.

Fellows, is there a forum site for Conversion Cylinders? I'd like to see what people have to say but this is a Muzzleloading site and I don't want to overstep allowed content. Thanks, this is a fine site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back