• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Signature Series 1860 sold for $3025... What?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I follow some auctions pretty close. But lately, or the last 2-3 years, stuff on Gunbroker and other auctions are selling for considerably more than I would have expected.

Rick

Perhaps the revolver was a variant or something that a couple purchasers recognized and bid accordingly. People who spend that kind of money on a gun aren't always stupid... .

Perhaps the revolver was a variant or something that a couple purchasers recognized and bid accordingly. People who spend that kind of money on a gun aren't always stupid... .
Looks like a standard 1860 to me. It does look like it has a very high gloss finish on the barrel. That could just be the lighting.

This is only a theory, but here is what I think happens sometimes....
When someone wants to make sure that they win an item in an auction, they enter a maximum bid way above and beyond what the item is worth, thinking everyone else that is bidding, will just give up.
But someone, possibly at the auction house, knows what his max bid is and just runs the item up just
under the persons max bid. I have no proof of this, but there is an online auction near here, where I have heard several people voice their concern that this is happening there.
The lesson here is, if you want something bad enough, you'll have to babysit the bidding, and just raise your bid the minimum amount until you win, or cry uncle.
To be filed under "Mixed Emotion,s".....here in the Twilight Zone......

The country auctions I used to go to before the auctioneers required background checks on firearms were entertaining. 3 felons bidding a junk shotgun to over $800 and the 2 family members trying to run the bids up!

There's too many variables.

What if it was 2 brothers who hated each other, and neither wanted the other to get "Dads " pistol.

Some years ago a good friend of mine (a Circus Memorabilia Collector) saw an original poster for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show when it appeared in the UK for sale on eBay US. He was determined to have it at whatever cost so he bid $1000 at the last minute thinking he would definitely win it at $200 to $300. Little did he know that the next lowest bidder had the same idea and he ended up paying the $1000 plus nearly $300 Shipping and Handling, AND UK Customs fees which made the total nearer to $1600!!
Literally every time I have seen him since this comes up in the conversation, to say "A lesson learned the hard way" is a definite understatement...

The SELLER comes highly recommended and I have dealt with them on a couple of occasions. The pictures in the ad are clear and concise, and the description is beyond reproach IF you have any clue what you are looking at. To mistake that firearm for an original anything is a CONSUMER error and nothing less. Who knows-a tear in the fabric of the cosmos perhaps!

So, this post made me curious about mine. I was thinking it was a second generation. I pulled it out and it's a 1860 Signature Series. It has a silver backstrap and trigger guard, unlike the one in the auction. And, it's serial number 2. My eyes bugged out when I saw that! Not sure how much value that adds, but pretty cool!!

Attachments

• 1860 army signature series.jpeg
    1860 army signature series.jpeg
    743.6 KB · Views: 0
So, this post made me curious about mine. I was thinking it was a second generation. I pulled it out and it's a 1860 Signature Series. It has a silver backstrap and trigger guard, unlike the one in the auction. And, it's serial number 2. My eyes bugged out when I saw that! Not sure how much value that adds, but pretty cool!!
If it is a signature series it has a gold Sam Colt engraved on the back strap.

I'll give you 300 for it right now : -)

I'm thankful for the person who just outbid me on the Pietta .44 Brasser with the shoulder stock on GunBroker 😃

My eyes got bigger than my wallet, $650 was pretty rich but for nearly $750 , whew. Thanks for stepping in and I'm glad I was out to dinner with my gf and not at home alone, tempted to up my bid. If you are on this forum, thank you kind stranger, I can now blow that money on other guns I don't need 🤠😃

Auction Fever is real

Back