• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cost of shooting muzzleloading shotguns for me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkarp429

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just paid $155.00 for 50 pounds of 7.5 Lawrence chilled shot. Comes to about $3.10 per pound. About 16 shots per pound (I spill a little). So, it cost me about 20 cents per shot, for shot. I bought my first 25 pound bag not that long ago thinking it would last a long time. Haha. Lesson learned. The wads I like come to about 1 or 2 cents each. For me, powder comes to about 30 cents per shot. So I’m thinking that I’m paying about 75 cents a shot to shoot muzzleloding shotguns, including flints and/or caps. I’m shooting double barrel side by sides, so wasp nest and swan shot is not where I’m headed.

is this cheap shooting? I think not. Is it worth it?

Of course.

I have a muzzleloader rifle that costs about $4 per shot. I have a modern rifle that costs about $10 to $15 per shot and a modern handgun that costs about $3 per shot. 75 cents a shot is not bad. Nice thing about muzzleloaders is that it is a lot slower. Your trip to the shooting range does not cost nearly as much as the guy there blasting away with an AR-15. Is it worth it? Well, that is all up to you. Some guys can't afford to go to the shooting range with a 22. Other guys buy $250,000 rifles that use $50 a shot ammo and don't give it a second thought.

I have a muzzleloader rifle that costs about $4 per shot. I have a modern rifle that costs about $10 to $15 per shot and a modern handgun that costs about $3 per shot. 75 cents a shot is not bad. Nice thing about muzzleloaders is that it is a lot slower. Your trip to the shooting range does not cost nearly as much as the guy there blasting away with an AR-15. Is it worth it? Well, that is all up to you. Some guys can't afford to go to the shooting range with a 22. Other guys buy $250,000 rifles that use $50 a shot ammo and don't give it a second thought.
Thanks for the perspective.

I missed an obvious clue though, having about 4 pounds of shot in a flask around my neck to start out my journey through the sporting clay courses needed refilling more than an I originally expected.

That's a great price on shot, note that it is in store only (standard shipping for 50 lbs shot runs around $80-90). Sportsman warehouse covers much, but not all, of the country. If you're too far away for driving to be reasonable, Ballistic Products has a clever loophole that ships 50 pounds of shot for $20, which gets the price down to about $120.

That's a great price on shot, note that it is in store only (standard shipping for 50 lbs shot runs around $80-90). Sportsman warehouse covers much, but not all, of the country. If you're too far away for driving to be reasonable, Ballistic Products has a clever loophole that ships 50 pounds of shot for $20, which gets the price down to about $120.

Ballistic Products charging me $42 for shipping the 50 pounds.

Part#DescriptionQty
Total​
CLLAW 7.5Lawrence Shot Chilled Lead (25#/bag) 7-1/22
$113.98​
Subtotal:​
$113.98​
Tax:​
$0.00​
Shipping: STANDARD GROUND​
$41.26​
Total:​
$155.24​

I haven't purchased any shot in a while as I stockpiled, but my local Cabela's (BassPro) currently lists the price at 49.99 when it's in stock. Wads are pretty reasonable, and I use two Circle Fly OP .125 wads and split them in half for OS wads.

$155.00 is beyond robbery.

I haven't purchased any shot in a while as I stockpiled, but my local Cabela's (BassPro) currently lists the price at 49.99 when it's in stock. Wads are pretty reasonable, and I use two Circle Fly OP .125 wads and split them in half for OS wads.

$155.00 is beyond robbery.

Bass pro/Cabelas in Tampa hasn’t had bags of shot in stock for a couple/few years. Also, the Lawrence chilled lead shot is a little more expensive than other shot that is hardened with antimony, anywhere you can find it.

Ballistic Products charging me $42 for shipping the 50 pounds.
I'm sorry to hear that. They have often had a code SHOT50 it uses USPS priority mail $20 box. It is currently listed on their shipping specials, but I believe that you have to request it specifically with that code. Much of their shot is also out of stock, more chilled than magnum.

Picked up two 25 pound bags of #8 from a guy in our Cowboy Action group who bought out somebody’s stash and was sharing the wealth. $50 a bag “delivered” at a match. Was glad to get it and glad to pay it. If you take the time to add it up, shooting muzzle loaders can be surprisingly expensive per shot. But as has been noted, shooting is slower. I took my Kibler .36 SMR out last weekend to the range. I had it all to myself and enjoyed a fine mid-day shooting paper. Total shots? Nine. That was all I felt like shooting and did not feel like I had to shoot anymore to make the trip worth while.

But as has been noted, shooting is slower. I took my Kibler .36 SMR out last weekend to the range. I had it all to myself and enjoyed a fine mid-day shooting paper. Total shots? Nine. That was all I felt like shooting and did not feel like I had to shoot anymore to make the trip worth while.

I think last time I did the math for my military muzzle loaders it was about $.30 a shot when you factor in the cost of lead, primer, and powder. That's about what 9mm is going for these days. As you say, it's the speed that saves you money. 50 shots of a cartridge gun gets you about 5 minutes of shooting. 50 shots of a muzzle loader gets you all afternoon!

Somebody gave me about 30 pounds of #6 shot a while back. I make buck shot from recycled lead and make my flints. So the only cost to shoot my Fusil de Chasse is powder. I can live with that.

Back