• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correcting breech spacing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on a project gun I didn’t build. Barrel looks like it wasn’t inlet correctly as there is a gap between the stock and breech (see below pic). What’s the best way to correct the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
From the photo zoomed in it looks like it may just be the top part of the wood rounded off. I would check the rest of the breech area to see how it mates up. A little lipstick on the metal will tell the story. If it looks tight there don't worry about it. If it's loose you can epoxy in some shim stock or wood towards the bottom of the breech area. Just don't let any epoxy show on the top or it will look like a cheap job forever. From here the gap just makes it look old.

From the photo zoomed in it looks like it may just be the top part of the wood rounded off. I would check the rest of the breech area to see how it mates up. A little lipstick on the metal will tell the story. If it looks tight there don't worry about it. If it's loose you can epoxy in some shim stock or wood towards the bottom of the breech area. Just don't let any epoxy show on the top or it will look like a cheap job forever. From here the gap just makes it look old.
Yeah what he said. I'd just let it ride personally but its not my gun.

I do ship models
I would point you to an outfit on line called model expo
They have wood strips for the planking of models in .5-2mm thick.
Walnut and cherry standard

On one of early rifles I had a similar gap, soot showed it to be only at the top of the barrel inlet. With the barrel in place, I made wedge shaped shims of the same wood that were slightly oversized and tapped them in with some wood glue on them. With a tight but not forced fit they were invisible in the finished rifle.

I pulled the barrel and used a fine riffler file to blend the patch into the existing wood.

Last edited:
Back