• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It leaks!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yup, the ignition gasses and the cleaning water both pretty readily leak between the drum and barrel of my recently completed CVA Kentucky rifle kit! :eek: I trusted the fit to be correct when building but obviously not.

This rifle shoots very well so I'm certainly interested in correcting the problem. I have several thoughts on the "how to" but I'm looking to learn more from our esteemed membership. What are your suggestions on how to correct this?

That rifle should not be fired until this issue has been fixed. Blowing out the drum could be a fatal accident. Glue, tape, anything else is treating the symptom not the problem, it needs a mechanical fix!

It's been fired 6 times. The blow by was obvious at that point. And I agree, it needs to be fixed in a positive manner. First step is disassemble and inspect. It was built as the manufacturer assembled the breech (it's a kit gun). The nipple and hammer match just fine but it has occurred to me that the drum may not have been turned in all the way.
has gum been mentioned yet?? can the drum be tightened ? someone may have backed it off to align the nipple, common problem on these guns.

Yes, may have been backed off or not tightened all the way at the factory.

Back