• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Corn Boiler recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Wondering what recipes folks cook up in their corn boilers? First one that posts a corn on the cobb recipe is gonna' get it... :grin:

You see hundreds of Dutch Oven recipes but I'm looking around for some traditional and HC meals that could be made in a larger corn boiler...

cornboiler003.jpg

A buddy of mine makes some wild rice with dried cranberries & brown sugar & it seem's like there was something wlse he added I'll have to check.

Anyhow it's real good, what you don't eat at dinner its good the next day for breakfast hot or cold.

Good luck, I'll be chking back cause I would like some more idea's too...

Researching Corn Boilers in general....I'm seeing that they are not very PC or HC until about the Civil War. Seems it is the domed lid that is the culprit... :bow:

Anyrate, I'm still interested in recipes...and the one you posted seems pretty good! I'll be lookin' forward to seeing what your buddy came up with. Sounds like something I'd love to try... :thumbsup:

I think the general soldered construction of the common corn boilers available, lend it to be mainly a heating vessel or for liquids that don't need to much direct heat from the coals. The first, and last one I had desided to leave it's bottom on the fire grate when I tried to pick it off the heat. Can you say, Soups on!...Well on the fire that is!

Rick :rotf:

A buddy of mine puts cracked barley,grits,spuds,onion,chunk bacon,seasons,adds water and lets it sit close to the fire for a simmer.Stir and add water as starches soak up liquid. Dont heat to boil over. Ive never seen him burn it.Takes a while(hours)to cook.Sticks to the ribs and next morning add water to reheat

cut up a strip or 2 of bacon or salt pork and sizzle it in the cooker until the grease runs out than add water and 1/2 cup grits bring to a simmer stir ocassionally add black pepper for a good breakfast.

Consider the two recipe's above stolen... :grin:

Anymore folks got some favaorite corn boiler recipe's they are willing to share?....

These that I'll post were all stolen word for word from elsewhere....

Barley & Fruit Breakfast
Start with a half corn boiler of boiling water .Add a full palm of barley, and the same amount of available dried fruit. I include apples, and dried mixed berries [found in most modern storehouses].A chunk of maple or muskavado sugar equal to about 6 54cal round balls and a 40 cal size amount of salt completes it. Cook until the barley is real tender lest it swell in your innards. Add water if it gets too thick.

A Fine Dinner
Take a potato,and a small onion and cut into small chunks. Add about a cut or so of water to your boiler and add potatos and onion. After 10 to 15 min., add small small carrots and boil til tender. Add a small amount of pepper corns and a boullion cube of chicken. Boil for another 10 min. and add rice. Boil til tender and take off the fire, let stand for about 15 min. and enjoy.

Breakfast In a Cup

Before you crawl into yer blankets, crunch up a large hand full of either dry ginger bread, or hard tack and maple sugar, add 1/2 that quantity of dried blueberrys and a "GOOD" shot of whisky to your boiler. Set aside till morning. Add goodly dose of hot coffee or black tea, stir up & enjoy!

Cush

"We take some bacon and fry the grease out, then we cut some cold beef in small pieces and put it in the grease, then pour in water and stew it like hash. Then we crumble corn bread or biscuit in it [some soldiers made mush or paste of flour or meal and added one of both of these at this point instead of crumbs] and stew it again til all the water is out then we have . . .real Confederate cush." The Life of Johnny Reb, at pp. 104-105, by Bell Irvin Wiley.
Editors note - you can also add vegetables, like potatoes and/or onions to cush.

Back