• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bread baking weather ahead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve only been making sourdough for 3 years but I make it regularly.
i know that bakers use yeast but I dont think it necessary.
I do use it on other things..
I started following food geek on YouTube.
I now make it with a mixer. It takes a while but still not as long as the periodic kneeding.
I started using a baking pan inside a Dutch oven a year ago. 500 degrees for 55 minutes. I started making loaves so I could slice and freeze it. Tasting frozen bread lowers the glycemic index by 31%.
20220311_08335691393e07edfd7f1a.jpg

64oz sourdough sandwich loaf in a Bayou Classic 12qt roaster. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Last edited:
I’ve only been making sourdough for 3 years but I make it regularly.
i know that bakers use yeast but I dont think it necessary.
I do use it on other things..
I started following food geek on YouTube.
I now make it with a mixer. It takes a while but still not as long as the periodic kneeding.
I started using a baking pan inside a Dutch oven a year ago. 500 degrees for 55 minutes. I started making loaves so I could slice and freeze it. Tasting frozen bread lowers the glycemic index by 31%.
Sour dough bread needs no yeast, it is in the starter already.

My better half, when I told her I was gonna make some bread, asked if I had ever made any before. “No” was my reply. “Then you will fail” she said. I proceeded to make two wonderful loaves that tasted great, and she was shocked. I told her “folks have been making bread for 30,000 years, why do you think it’s so hard?”
When I made my sourdough starter, followed by subsequent bread loaves, she never even questioned a thing. Lol
Walk

My better half, when I told her I was gonna make some bread, asked if I had ever made any before. “No” was my reply. “Then you will fail” she said. I proceeded to make two wonderful loaves that tasted great, and she was shocked. I told her “folks have been making bread for 30,000 years, why do you think it’s so hard?”
When I made my sourdough starter, followed by subsequent bread loaves, she never even questioned a thing. Lol
Walk

Yep,

I’m on it Boss!!!

RM

I occasionally bake myself a couple of loaves of Italian style bread. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood I remember Lard bread. My version uses about 1/4 lb. of bacon crisped. I crumble it up and add to the dough, and before I put the loaf into the oven I liberally paint the top with bacon grease. I also use a pizza stone and the highest setting on the oven. I have enough grease on it so that it doesn't stick to your hips, it slides right down to your ankles!

Started my own starter 15 years ago. Thin flour and water mix covered with a bacon splatter screen by an open window. Lots of corn fields nearby. Figured they would help with the yeast.

It started working in a couple days. Feed it once a week, keep in the fridge. Once a month take it out, feed it and leave it on the counter. Feed it again after 8-9 hours and back in the fridge. Takes 6-8 weeks to fully develop.

Don

Started my own starter 15 years ago. Thin flour and water mix covered with a bacon splatter screen by an open window. Lots of corn fields nearby. Figured they would help with the yeast.

It started working in a couple days. Feed it once a week, keep in the fridge. Once a month take it out, feed it and leave it on the counter. Feed it again after 8-9 hours and back in the fridge. Takes 6-8 weeks to fully develop.

Don
I started mine on the back deck, March 2020. It's worked mighty well since.

When you put your yeast in the water will it work without sugar? Doesn't yeast have to feed on something?
I use to live near a bakery. I loved the smell when they were baking bread. It was some of the best bread You could find. Now the ,""BEAN COUNTERS'' have taken out the butter to cut cost and the bread isn't fit to eat.
Ya know what? Your,e right! Add a teaspoon of sugar to your yeast mix. Thanks for catching that! SM

Back