• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bread baking weather ahead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Time to check the pantry for supplies and maybe stock up a little before prices go up some more.
My primary interest is sourdough but I also make yeasted recipes and SD + yeast recipes. Recently, I hacked Olive Garden's soft breadstick recipe. Really just a minor modification of your basic pizza dough recipe.
20220807_180751eaed74960674ab90.jpg

You could make the dough ahead of time, wrap it up in oil cloth and bake it in camp coiled around a green willow stick.

I would like to hear about and see images of your own creations.
Thanks for looking. Dave

Mr. MB,

So, how do you make your bread? I am assuming old school? I’m good with biscuits in the Dutch oven. It’s funny that this has come up. I remember my mother making sour dough bread and how wonderful the house smelled when I would come in from working cows. I was thinking about that the other day. So, if you would Sir, walk me through the process. I asked my wife about it an apparently it’s lots of work or at least can be. I’ve thought about a machine but apparently most people that get them, get tired of them.

Respectfully,

RM

Firstly, take stock of your kitchen equipment.

You can make basic bread with flour, water, salt and yeast or sourdough (= leavening agent). You also need a mixing bowl, baking sheet and an oven. Kitchen scale would be handy, plastic dough scraper, kitchen timer.

So a few basic items, you don't have to go full Betty Crocker right out the gate. That's why I recommend trying frozen bread dough, make some bread and gauge your interest level. And there's some very experienced bakers here to help you..I'm more of an enthusiast myself.

Flour: Winco bulk white bread flour, any white bread flour, any white all purpose flour, unbleached

Water: bottled, purified, non-chlorinated well water or tap water

Salt: Kosher salt, sea salt

Yeast: instant dried yeast packets or bulk (NOT Rapid Rise)

Plastic dough scraper: Amazon is your friend, 2-pack about $7.00 or less, last you forever.
Other bits and bobs you can order online or at your restaurant supply or Wally World.

Gram scale: about $9.00 from Amazon.

You probably got oven, baking sheet, mixing bowl, flat work surface or cutting board for dough shaping, couple old tea towels or flour sacks to cover dough during proofing.

Now possible bonus: if SWMBO has a stand mixer with dough hook we'll have you your own stall at the farmer's market in no time!

Last edited:
Easy as heck. Start with Fleicheman,s yeast..just standard yeast. Half cup of lukewarm water. Add yeast let stand. I start by filling a bowl with bread flour and add water till its almost soupy like spackel in the bowl. Add four tablespoons of sea salt. Two table spoons of olive oil. When the yeast in the cup is ready it will have a head on it like a beer. Throw it in the batch and mix in. now add water or flour for consistency getting the flour to form a ball pulling away from the bowl. you will have to add flour to knead it to keep it from sticking to your hands. Cover bowl with damp cloth until dough rises. it will double in size. Form rolls on a greased cookie sheet and coat with egg whites. 400 degrees until they go golden on top. Thats it!

Last edited:
I have baked sourdough for about 20 years. Still have the starter I made back then. Recipe is easy:
6 cups bread flour, 2 cups sourdough starter, 1 packet yeast, 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black strap molasses. Start the yeast in a half cup warm water. Rise one hour, do not knead - roll out and divide into bread pans, rise for another hour, makes 4/5 loaves in my pans. 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I use antique bread pans that are glass with covers, it gives the inside a nice texture. We find these at flea markets. Amazon had a mental pan with a cover I use as well.

Don

If you're interested in making bread, I'd suggest you check out a YouTube channel I found out about during the pandemic. The man's name is Steve and his recipes use very little yeast (which was sometimes difficult to find during the early days of Covid) and require no kneading. I started making a variety of his recipes and really like the wheat bread and rye bread loaves. His channel is:

https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev/videos
That's all for now. Happy baking and until next time...be well.

snapper

Easy as heck. Start with Fleicheman,s yeast..just standard yeast. Half cup of lukewarm water. Add yeast let stand. I start by filling a bowl with bread flour and add water till its almost soupy like spackel in the bowl. Add four tablespoons of sea salt. Two table spoons of olive oil. When the yeast in the cup is ready it will have a head on it like a beer. Throw it in the batch and mix in. now add water or flour for consistency getting the flour to form a ball pulling away from the bowl. you will have to add flour to knead it to keep it from sticking to your hands. Cover bowl with damp cloth until dough rises. it will double in size. Form rolls on a greased cookie sheet and coat with egg whites. 400 degrees until they go golden on top. Thats it!
When you put your yeast in the water will it work without sugar? Doesn't yeast have to feed on something?
I use to live near a bakery. I loved the smell when they were baking bread. It was some of the best bread You could find. Now the ,""BEAN COUNTERS'' have taken out the butter to cut cost and the bread isn't fit to eat.

I’ve only been making sourdough for 3 years but I make it regularly.
i know that bakers use yeast but I dont think it necessary.
I do use it on other things..
I started following food geek on YouTube.
I now make it with a mixer. It takes a while but still not as long as the periodic kneeding.
I started using a baking pan inside a Dutch oven a year ago. 500 degrees for 55 minutes. I started making loaves so I could slice and freeze it. Tasting frozen bread lowers the glycemic index by 31%.

Attachments

• 95A107D0-4769-4B9B-91AE-ECCB7402A888.jpeg
    95A107D0-4769-4B9B-91AE-ECCB7402A888.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back