• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Corned Venison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester97

40 Cal
Reaction score
Thought I would share my recipe for corned venison to help a few folks make use of your deer meat this year. I have made this for years, and my family loves it cooked with cabbage in the pressure cooker, or crock pot. When selecting your venison cuts, make sure all fat and silver skin it removed, I slice about 2" thick roasts across the grain mostly. Avoid overly thick chunks, as the cure may not penetrate to the center. Make the brine as follows per 5lb. Of venison.

Add to 2 cups boiling water
2/3 C kosher salt
1/2 C packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon pink #1 cure
2 tablespoons pickling spice
Stir while boiling until disolved, then add mixture to 6 cups heavily iced water in a glass or food safe plastic container. Add meat when solution is cool.

Keep in fridge ensuring no meat is exposed to the air. Stir and reposition meat once daily for 7-10 days. At that time remove and freeze roasts for later use.
These roasts will cook up beet red, and be fork tender every time. I have found this to be great for us, never too salty, and it's just as good with a buck as a small doe, makes no difference if it's fresh venison or frozen. The only thing I ever ran into was cutting the meat too thick, and not getting the cure all the way through. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Latest posts

Back