• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting T/C Hawkin .50 Cal Percussion Barrel to Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JIM1911 said:
Had to nap flint after every 2 shots. I think I need a better quality flint and a larger size.
Can't tell from the close up of the lock, but you may want to look at grinding down the heel on the frizzen (esp if it is a standard TC frizzen, as it appears to be) &/or lightening the feather spring.

If you are busting up flints, it is quite likely that between the two your frizzen is needing waaay too hard a hit to pop open. The tension only needs to be such that the frizzen is held open and won't rebound. You need zero tension to actually fire the thing.

To test this, just remove the feather spring and try flashing the pan. Should work fine.

Lighten up the frizzen tension to around 3lbs and you shouldn't need to knapp as much.

Hello 54JNOLL,

Thanks for the responce. :grin: Im a happy camper to have it together and working.It was worth all the work. I little fine tuning to go yet.

Jim1911

Hello Old Ironsights,

Thanks for the great info. :bow: I will do as you said and see how it works. I just wanted to mention that it is a aftermarket (Spain) lock. It has a coil type main spring that is very weak compared to a factory T/C Flint Lock. It is more like the tension on the T/C Percussion lock ,about half as strong. I doesn't seem to hit the frizzen very hard like the T/C Lock that seems to smash into it very hard.(I understand they eat flints also). Your pointers may be just what Im looking for to fix my ploblem.

Thanks again , JIM1911

Back