• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conversion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montey812

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Charles Daly side lock. It appears someone changed out the #11 nipple with some other type of ignition. Took it to a gun shop and they never seen it before. It came with caps but it definitely is not set up for them. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_163447301.jpg
    IMG_20211105_163447301.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20211105_163453139.jpg
    IMG_20211105_163453139.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 80
Its definitely a MagSpark. It takes the 209s. Just take it off and put a regular nipple back in there. Ive seen them used when the guns were having ignition problem. Also seen them used to shoot BlackHorn209 powder in a sidelock.

I thought posted on this tread but must not have hit reply. I had one, good luck getting the 209 primer out after the shot, they tend to stick in place, a pocket knife and some prying is a must. I used mine for just a few shots then it disappeared into the junk drawer in my house, (we all have one, a junk drawer that is).

I thought posted on this tread but must not have hit reply. I had one, good luck getting the 209 primer out after the shot, they tend to stick in place, a pocket knife and some prying is a must. I used mine for just a few shots then it disappeared into the junk drawer in my house, (we all have one, a junk drawer that is).

You did. He double-posted.

Ive heard a couple guys say that some spit on the 209 helps make it easier to remove after firing.

On a side note, I've heard that "fouling" the bore by popping a few 209 primers can eliminate the clean bore shot being out of the group of subsequent fouled bore shots. Always wanted to test this but haven't ever got around to tracking down a 209 conversion to buy for my Renegade.
This was from a guy who hunts in a State that doesn't allow 209 type ignition so he'd swap in the conversion, fire a few 209's, and then swap back to a #11 setup and go hunting. Claimed it absolutely eliminated stray clean bore shots.
There, I gave you a reason to dig that sucker out of the junk drawer and go shooting.

Latest posts

Back