• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comments on TVM Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a Fowler but I have a TVM Early Virginia in .45. No it doesn't replicate any original rifle but neither was it intended to. The overall functioning and quality for the money will be hard to beat. As for guns coming off the line with problems, remember you can buy a Cadilac that turns out to be a lemon, but not very often given the number produced. Last but not least, the Avances are fine people who will bend over backwards to help a customer.

i have a tvm southern rifle in .50 cal and currently having a .45 po boy built. im a lefty so things i like about em are the left handed lock and they can get my LOP right (i do best with 13.25”). i also like the 36” straight barrel option.

the .50 has been highly functional, i expect the .45 to be the same.

I have a TVM fowler that I got a few months ago. It is absolutely beautiful and I love it. The people over at TVM are amazing to work with. I have another rifle on order by them. -Larry

With all due respect to others, it's not just that those guns "aren't copies of originals" it's that the people who assemble them (and designed the templates) don't seem to have ever held an original or looked at one up close. Once again, there's nothing wrong with that if that's not something you care about. They seem to make guns that hit targets and game. If that's is all you care about then you will likely be happy.

JB,
What you are saying is correct. Most people that buy a TVM or other similar product aren't concerned with HC/PC arms. They want something they can afford with reasonable quality. Everyone is not a collector or can afford something custom made to represent a Rupp or a Beck or a Dickert. There's something out there for every pocket book and everyone's need. TVM happens to be, IMHO, one of the better ones.

Since reading here since 2005 there seems to be about a 60 to 40 split on TVM, favorable to not so happy.

Since this site over the years has sent a lot of business to TVM, they have never come here and posted nor, addressed those who are not happy.

I wanted to make a road trip to see their work and place an order, I was discourage to do so.

Curious as to why.

I’m not sure if I could agree with the 60/40 split.. especially with people who are experienced shooters..

I’ve never owned a TVM product, but I’ve shot against plenty of them and in experienced hands they are very capable of shooting small groups.

As too TVM not coming on the Forum, I’m not sure if they have ever posted on any Forum or wish too , but I know they are aware of their critics...
And as far as i know they have addressed any issues brought too them in a timely manner.

I can assure everyone that Matt, at TVM, has indeed seen, held and owned original guns. I even recall a comment made to a builder of my acquaintance by an "expert" on old guns. Thinking he was looking at a gun recently built by my friend, he studied the rifle and declared a 200 year old rifle not H/C or P/C.

I said, they "don't seem to have ever held an original or looked at one up close." They don't seem to. I don't know how much is willful to save in production costs or not. It doesn't matter unless that's something you care about. There was one young man who posted on this and other forums around 10 years ago or so who worked for TVM for a time. He was also involved in living history and cared about higher levels of historic replication. He left TVM after he pointed out things they should change to make their guns more historically representative and was ignored. Clearly, that's not TVM's market. That's fine.

Hi Rich,
If you are not in a hurry, Jim Kibler may have a new fowler kit out at the end of this year. His kits are as close to snap together as you can come requiring very little work before applying finish. I suspect it will be a fine English fowler and coming from Jim, it will have all the correct features which define those guns.

dave

I own a TVM fowling piece that I bought second-hand off of the gentleman who made it from a kit. I think it is much improved over their standard product by the addition of a tapered Colerain barrel and a beefy Chambers English lock.
In my experience the staff at TVM are easy to get a hold of and they quickly reply to queries. I wouldn’t hesitate to do business with them.

JB,
What you are saying is correct. Most people that buy a TVM or other similar product aren't concerned with HC/PC arms. They want something they can afford with reasonable quality. Everyone is not a collector or can afford something custom made to represent a Rupp or a Beck or a Dickert. There's something out there for every pocket book and everyone's need. TVM happens to be, IMHO, one of the better ones.
I have to say I have seen a lot of originals that weren’t HC. Guns that were restocked and altered and repaired.
The Brits would build the NWG, and the Americans and Belgians would build imitations of the NWG, the Belgian guns tended to be more crude
CVA built its Mountian rifle. Not very HC.... except for many plains rifles built in the 1850s that look a whole lot like CVAs.
I’ve seen lots of original Besses that had a lot of variation from gun to gun.
Some could be ware and tear, some could be field modifications of guns repaired in field.
Sometimes I think our quest for HC is limited.

My TVM Fowler, 62cal/20ga
EB6C9B4D-93D1-4283-A693-3361469842F8.jpeg
0EF10E65-354B-40FC-A668-8E65A07A57A2.jpeg6025AC88-08AA-4987-927C-7E292765FDE6.jpeg

Also looking to add a fowler to my list in the next year or so. Have thought about getting one built by TVM. Appreciate reading all the comments, good & bad.

x3FBeqB.jpg

KxB0ouC.jpg

not HC (?), but nothing with a steel barrel is. balance is nearly perfect, and its svelte and accurate. very nice trigger pull too, right at about 3 lbs w no creep. a tvm po boy costs about a grand and ill take that every day over an italian gun.

p.s. ive been to the shop several times for the two rifles ive bought from them, in corinth and natchez. never had any issues being shown around or anything else. theyre super friendly and enjoy their work.

Looking for a new .62 fowler. Anyone have any experiance with TVM's built fowler?
Do some research.
Historical accuracy, value, quality.
I wouldn't use them all in the same sentence to describe them.
Save a little more money, buy better, and you won't be disappointed

Latest posts

Back