• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Comments on TVM Fowler?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x3FBeqB.jpg

KxB0ouC.jpg

not HC (?), but nothing with a steel barrel is. balance is nearly perfect, and its svelte and accurate. very nice trigger pull too, right at about 3 lbs w no creep. a tvm po boy costs about a grand and ill take that every day over an italian gun.

p.s. ive been to the shop several times for the two rifles ive bought from them, in corinth and natchez. never had any issues being shown around or anything else. theyre super friendly and enjoy their work.
Why only one lock screw?

JB,
What you are saying is correct. Most people that buy a TVM or other similar product aren't concerned with HC/PC arms. They want something they can afford with reasonable quality. Everyone is not a collector or can afford something custom made to represent a Rupp or a Beck or a Dickert. There's something out there for every pocket book and everyone's need. TVM happens to be, IMHO, one of the better ones.
"Reasonable quality "? Not a phrase I use with firearms of any type

@Alexander Efremenko, you build firearms of unquestioned quality and put a lot of research into making sure the firearm is historically correct.

Why only one lock screw?
Manufacturing ease. The forward screw design won't interfere with the ram rod in the barrel channel. Threading time for only one through bolt is all that is needed.

One thing I've long lusted after but will never, of course, be able to acquire is a House Brothers rifle. They are highly regarded builders and I've never heard any criticism of their guns. Their rifles aren't H/C either. They have their own style just like builders from the 18th & 19th century. And yes, no two rifles by any builder are likely to be identical. I have two late Lancaster style rifles from TVM that are different enough to have been built by different builders. This is because Matt builds them from a board, not from a precarve. Jim Kibler's rifles are precarved but he uses state of the art technology that keeps them all identical in architecture; and high, repeatable quality results from his methods.

I've never completely understood the market for replicas of a specific original gun. Even these "replicas" are often modified from the pattern they seek to copy. There's nothing wrong with them or with the many builders who use their own artistic license in their renditions. The criticism of guns simply because they are not H/C in someone's opinion is totally unwarranted - factory guns included. Now, it's one thing if a build is not high quality, but it's the owner's and not a critic's satisfaction that's at stake and important. The decision, then, is to choose a muzzleloader of known quality that fits one's use, aesthetics and pocketbook regardless of where it originates. I'm satisfied with my smoothbore and that's all that matters to me.

My .36 Iron Pa i ordered as a poor boy has one lock screw. Now i did upgrade the stock. Anyway before ordering both my TVM’s as stated in earlier post... i knew they built a representation and not a true copy as i read the description of their guns. I’m fine with that and could care less about getting a true copy made and everthing 100% perfect. The kiblers are nice but...i don’t want a gun that the stock is CNC machined...thats me...and i’m fine if others buy them. They are nice looking for sure and if someone wants a true copy well go ahead and do it. To each his own and what ever makes you happy then go for it.

I have owned a tvm fowler for many years always found it to well made and reliable. I had a 54 Virginia built by tvm it was a great rifle but sold it don't know why I just don't like 54s.:dunno:

Mike

I bought my TVM fowling piece from Jack Garner about the time TVM was sold to Matt Avance. I have one through lock bolt and one wood screw where the front lock bolt would go. I have had no real problems with the fowling piece. The lock is a Siler. I suspect that TVM used the Silers because they could buy the kits and do the final assembly of the locks cheaper than using an assembled English replica lock. Doubt that much has changed in the years since TVM became Matt Avance's business.

I bought my TVM fowling piece from Jack Garner about the time TVM was sold to Matt Avance. I have one through lock bolt and one wood screw where the front lock bolt would go. I have had no real problems with the fowling piece. The lock is a Siler. I suspect that TVM used the Silers because they could buy the kits and do the final assembly of the locks cheaper than using an assembled English replica lock. Doubt that much has changed in the years since TVM became Matt Avance's business.

Actually, this is why three of mine are "correct" locks from Chambers while the other two are TVM's default Siler. Got to say, though, the most reliable lock I have on a rifle is TVM's Siler on my favorite .45.

I’m not sure if I could agree with the 60/40 split.. especially with people who are experienced shooters..

I’ve never owned a TVM product, but I’ve shot against plenty of them and in experienced hands they are very capable of shooting small groups.

As too TVM not coming on the Forum, I’m not sure if they have ever posted on any Forum or wish too , but I know they are aware of their critics...
And as far as i know they have addressed any issues brought too them in a timely manner.
Don’t quit believe the 60-40 thing but I know they don’t need people coming around and wanting a guided tour of their facilities. They have work to do. But they will answer your phone calls and address any problem you may have. I have a TVM and it is 1st quality!!

Since reading here since 2005 there seems to be about a 60 to 40 split on TVM, favorable to not so happy.

Since this site over the years has sent a lot of business to TVM, they have never come here and posted nor, addressed those who are not happy.

I wanted to make a road trip to see their work and place an order, I was discourage to do so.

Curious as to why.
Actually member "Slash" was from TVM and posted here for several years, I believe this was Matt Avance's wife. Slash hasn't been here in 5 years or so though.

Latest posts

Back