• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any books available specifically on building ml Fowler s or smoothbores?
Follow Dave Person’s builds here. There are few technical aspects to building a fowling piece that are not common to building rifles as well. If there’s a specific sort of originals you plan to use as basis for your build, study them in museums or collections and get books. After that, nothing special except fastening underlugs and front sights, all covered here many times.

If you have no experience scratch building guns, I’d recommend a class or consulting with a local builder as well as having and following books and DVDs. Building on forum advice alone is extremely limiting.

Last edited:
Are there any books available specifically on building ml Fowler s or smoothbores?
Pryor Mountain Bill Newton s book / building manual is great for building smoothbore trade guns , same process as fowler . Its out of print but if you want a copy contact me . I can send you a copy via email . His daughter scanned the whole book and gave me permission to give it to folks . Let me know ...

Back